Sunday, February 24, 2013

National Banana Bread Day

Bananas.  One of my most favorite fruits.  I actually eat a banana 6 mornings a week (occasionally 7.)  So when I found out that today was National Banana Bread Day I couldn't help but jump on it!  I wanted to put my own spin on the day though.  Banana Bread Pops using my new never been used cake pop pan.

Why make pops?  Well, for one, I wanted to use my pan and since we are on the health train in this house, cake doesn't make an appearance often anymore.  I also like to do things differently.  I like to be unique.  Plus, it's conveniently pre-portioned for you!

This recipe was taken out of my handy-dandy very loved Cook This, Not That!  350 Calorie book.  It made 36 cake pops and one large muffin.  For the nutritional I just put in 36 servings so, it's actually a bit lower in calories then the facts say because I'm betting the muffin was equal to 3 or 4 pops.




Ingredients 4 large ripe bananas
3/4 cup grated carrots (you could also use zucchini, but if you do make sure you squeeze out all the water)
2 cups white or whole wheat flour (I used 1 cup of each)
1/2 cup greek yogurt (I actually used fat free vanilla regular yogurt)
Egg substitute equivalent to 2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Direction
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Mash your bananas (I like to give them a whirl in my food processor to make sure they are fully smushed)
  3. Mix together the bananas, yogurt, egg substitute (or egg whites), and vanilla
  4. In a separate bowl mix together carrots, flour, baking soda and baking powder.
  5. Stir dry ingredients into the wet
  6.  Spray your cake pop pan and fill each hole with batter
  7. Bake for 25-30 minutes until done
  8. Let cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes and then place on a cooling rack
  9. Repeat steps 6-8 until all your batter is gone.


Look at the calories.  It's crazy!   Only 44 calories per serving and 0.1 gram of fat!  These are going to be my new snack for after the gym.  

No comments:

Post a Comment