Saturday, February 2, 2013

National Homemade Soup Day

February 4th is National Homemade Soup Day.  Food holidays always make me laugh.  How do they decided on these things??

But, I celebrated early by making soup tonite.  I made grilled cheese and tomato soup.  The kids got the canned stuff.  I personally think the canned soup is yucky so I made myself some roasted tomato soup to go with my grilled cheese.  

Side note:  Spreading a thin layer of pureed pumpkin on your grilled cheese is actually really good.  It adds a nutty quality.  I was pleasantly surprised. 

This soup though is simple with 4 ingredients.  It's nice, thick, and creamy.  

Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
3 ripe tomatoes, halved
3-4 whole garlic cloves
1 onion, quartered
1/2-1 cup vegetable broth

Directions
  1. Heat oven to 450 degrees
  2. Spray a baking sheet with pan spray.  Put the onions, garlic, and tomatoes on the baking sheet then spray the vegetables with the spray.
  3. Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes until soft and slightly browned flipping halfway through
  4. Put the water and vegetables in a pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until slightly reduced.
  5. Using either an immersion blender, blender, or food processor, puree the soup until smooth (be careful since it's hot)
  6. Pour it back in the pot and reheat if necessary.
With a nice drizzle of jalapeno hot sauce

Perfect combo.  Tomato soup and grilled cheese with mushrooms and pumpkin

On another happy note, this past week I've received Facebook messages from 2 of my friends asking for nutrition and exercise advice.  This shows me that people are finally starting to notice my hard work.  

Please, by all means, tell your family, your friends, your coworkers, anyone you know, about me!  I love giving advice and letting you in on my secrets and tricks. 

What's your favorite homemade soup?  Do you add interesting things to your grilled cheese?

No comments:

Post a Comment