Sunday, March 2, 2014

Staring at a Blank Screen.....

I have had a major case of writer's block.  It probably doesn't help that a few super awesome recipes I wanted to share with you have failed miserably.  {Yes, even I have failures} The past few days I've been trying to work on a few different posts.  Every one is really difficult for me to write.  

I'm a lover of a few different things:

  1. Carbs
  2. Breakfast for Dinner
  3. Breakfast Sandwiches
I occasionally get cravings for McDonald's breakfast biscuits.  The sausage one was my favorite.  When I get that craving I make them for dinner.  Unfortunately I can't just crack open a can of biscuits like many people do.  I make my own biscuits.  I've shared the recipe with you before.  But it's a "stupid simple" recipe.  So simple you cacn't mess it up.  2 cups of flour, 8 ounces of sour cream or cottage cheese, .25 cup skim milk and 1 Tablespoon baking powder. 

For dinner the other nite I decided to add an extra healthy spin to it.  I added shredded vegetables.  I used squash and carrots but, I bet other vegetables would work well too.  Broccoli or cauliflower would probably be perfect in this.  I'm also betting that this could be done using Gluten Free flour.  Or Bisquick.  If youo  use Bisquick then omit the baking powder.  

Vegetable Biscuits
Makes 10
Calories:  117
Fat:  0.4
Carbs:  22.3
Protein:  5.6

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 T baking powder
8 oz fat free cottage cheese
.25 cup skim milk
1 medium yellow squash, grated
5 baby carrots, grated
1 T minced garlic

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450
  2. Whisk together flours, and baking powder
  3. In a separate bowl mix together cottage cheese, milk, squash, carrots and garlic
  4. Stir wet ingredients into dry {I ended up using my hands to mix it}
  5. Dump dough onto a floured cutting board and knead a few times.  
  6. Roll out and use a cookie cutter or glass to cut out biscuits
  7. Place on greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes
Luckily my kids like vegetables.  But Kaylee said the oddest thing to me when we were eating these.  She said "I don't like to know what's in my food before I eat it."  She is so used to me using unusual ingredients that she doesn't want her opinion on them swayed by knowing what the ACTUAL ingredients are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment