Monday, April 7, 2014

Mushroom Quesadillas

Kaylee is so happy!  Today was her first day back to the swim team {they switched pools for the winter and it was too far away to take her and still take Mantha to practice also.}  I have a feeling I'm going to have one very sore 10 year old tomorrow.  As a fitness enthusiast and personal trainer I'd love to know how many calories she burns during one practice.  But no matter what, she burns a bunch.  And every athlete needs a nutritious meal after they exercise.  What's a better nutritious meal than QUESADILLAS???  

The kids and I have been craving Mexican for a few days and Vegetarian Times Magazine did a piece with various quesadilla recipes.  


One of the things I love about quesadillas is that they are so versatile.  There are over handful of different tortillas to choose from, dozens of different cheeses, hundreds of different filling options and thousands of different combinations you can put it all together with.  

But, in the fashion that my recipes for this blog have been going recently, something went wrong when I made this.   I opened up my bag of tortillas and they were moldy.  I had bought them the same day!  I was so annoyed.  But, today I wasn't going to let that get me.  I took one of the tortillas I bought for Ken and the kids and made this quesadilla into a quesadilla salad.  I baked the tortilla into a shell in my tortilla shell bowl that my mother gave me for Christmas.  If you don't have one you can always bake the shell flat.


Creamy Mushroom Quesadilla Salad

adapted from Vegetarian Times
  • .5 small onion, chopped 
  • 8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced 
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 oz. fat-free cream cheese, softened
  • .25 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 8-inch fat free tortilla
  • Fresh spinach
  • Your favorite salsa 
  • Fat free sour cream

  1. Preheat oven to 450, spray tortilla bowl mold and fit tortilla inside
  2. Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned
  3. While the tortilla is baking, saute mushrooms and onions.
  4. Turn off heat and stir in cumin, cream cheese and cheddar until the cream cheese coats the mushrooms mixture and the cheddar cheese is melty. 
  5. Take tortilla out of the mold and fill 3/4 of the way full with spinach
  6. Top with mushroom mixture and garnish with salsa and sour cream.

What's one of your family's favorite after workout meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment