Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Dining Out While Out of Town

I have totally changed my views on eating out due to this weekend.  I finally decided I am TIRED of getting sick and ending up in ridiculous amounts of pain due to eating out.  

This weekend was spent in Kissimmee because Mantha had a cheer competition.  With 3 dogs and 3 kids I really didn't want to make the 4 hour round trip drive in 1 day.  {I also didn't want to have to fight with everyone trying to get out of the house at 7 AM}  We opted to stay the weekend down there.  We stayed at the Studio 6 in Kissimmee.  It was a pretty decent hotel and it had a kitchen.  

After the competition we had 3 meal ideas.  Joe's Crab Shack, Chinese buffet, or pick something up at Publix and cook it in the room.  The room only had 3 of everything so we crossed Publix off the list of options.  The girls wanted to go swimming after dinner so we decided that the buffet would be quicker and would allow us to swim for longer.  

I chose what I thought would be the safe options.  Cold shrimp, crawfish, and clams, a few pieces of sushi and seaweed salad.  Halfway thru my first plate I was in doubled over pain.  When we got back to the hotel room I started sobbing.  

I'm sick of the pain.  I'm done with it!  I can hear you now "just stop eating out".  Honestly, we go out once a month.  I cook dinner 29 days out of the month.  I need 1 day that someone will cook for me.  

I have come up with a few tips on eating out.

1)  Never choose the buffet
       You don't honestly know what is in the food.  The fat content could be outrageous and you'd never know.

2)  Do your research
      The internet is your best friend when you want to dine out.  Look at every single restaurant's website and see what they offer.  Most of the chain restaurants have the nutritional information available.

3)  Be THAT person
      When I first got sick I vowed to not be the person who goes into a restaurant and completely customizes a meal to fit their diet.  SCREW THAT!  I make sure that my meal will not hurt me when I goto a restaurant.  I also tip more if a server deals with my demands nicely.

4)  Mom and Pop restaurants are good options.
      Alot of times the food is made to order so, go in and explain your situation. Many times the chef will whip you up something special.  

5)  Head to the grocery store seafood counter
      This sounds odd but, if you can't find any restaurant that will work for you, goto the local grocery store (or seafood market) and have them steam you some shrimp.  That and a bag of microwaveable vegetables is a great dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment