Monday, July 22, 2013

My First Recipe Revisted -- Egg Boats

Every now and then I enjoy going back and looking at the first posts I did.  I'm always amazed at how rudimentary they were.  

Saturday I decided to remake my very first recipe, egg boats.  This recipe is simple, takes under 30 minutes, and has stuff in it that the whole family enjoys.  Sunny actually ate 90% of hers!  That's says that it's a recipe I can make again. 



Egg Boats

Original recipe from Spoon Fork Bacon HERE
My post about it:  HERE

Ingredients
4 demi  baguettes

5 eggs (or equivilent of egg substitute)

1/3 cup skim milk

3 ounces grated cheese

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Cut a V into the top of the roll and rip some of the inner bread out. Place rolls on a baking sheet
  3. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and cheese
  4. Pour equal amounts of the egg mixture into rolls
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are set in the center
  6. Let cool for a couple minutes before eating


I did mine a bit differently.  I couldn't find the same rolls I used before so, I decided to make a personal strata for myself.  I figured it was the same concept just a different way of putting it all together.

Personal Strata


Calories: 233
Fat: 0.1 g
Carbs: 35.9 g
Protein: 24.9 g

Ingredients
2 slices reduced calorie wheat bread (I used the heels to give it a crispier texture)
.5 cup egg substitute
2 T skim milk
.25 cup diced onion
.25 cup diced mushrooms

Directions


  1. Saute onions and mushrooms until soft and let cool
  2. Grease a 6 inch ramekin
  3. Tear bread into cubes and place in ramekin
  4. In a separate bowl whisk together egg substitute and milk
  5. Mix in onions and mushrooms
  6. Pour egg mixture over bread and place in fridge for 15-45 minutes (so that the bread soaks up the eggs)
  7. Preheat oven to 350
  8. Bake 15-30 minutes until set and slightly brown
  9. Let cool for 5 minutes before eating

Do you look back at your old recipes and see how you can make them better or different?

No comments:

Post a Comment