Sunday, July 28, 2013

End of Week 1

Warning:  This post is loaded with a bunch of random bits of things.  

Due to issues beyond Ken and I's control we will no longer be going to the chiropractor.  I'm personally going to miss my massage therapist dearly.  I have been seeing the same therapist and chiropractor since 2010.  Since the day Mantha started Kindergarten.  So, if you're in the Flagler County area and need a massage therapist or chiropractor give Carlisi a call.  Click HERE to be taken to their website.

I thought my body would miss them more than I personally would but, that was before I took a yoga class at the gym.  Friday was supposed to be a dance-based stretching class but, there was a sub and she taught Yin yoga instead of the class that is typically taught.  I felt really good after class.  Better than I normally do after my massages.  

Saturday I went back for Hot Yoga.  It's also called Bikram Yoga.  WOW!  This class was ridiculous.  I was drenched with sweat at the end pof class and according to a calorie calculator I burned over 400 calories for the hour I was there.  But, my body felt so good.  I would highly recommend yoga.  

What is Yin Yoga?  
According to PrincetonYoga.com "The Yin parts of our body are the parts that lie closest to our core, specifically the bones and connective tissue... Remaining muscularly passive for periods of time gently stretches dense connective tissue of the lower back, hips and spine... There is a focus on the breath, being present in the moment, relieving tension and letting go. The Yin practice includes powerful mental and emotional benefits as its practitioner becomes quiet, still and mindful of the present."

and according to Wahanda.com "Yin yoga targets the connective tissues, joints, bones and ligaments. It reaches deep muscles rather than just focussing on superficial ones, allowing for a strong and lasting connection between body and mind."

What is Hot/Bikram Yoga?
According to Wahanda.com "Bikram is a system of 26 postures (called asanas) and two breathing exercises (called pranayama) designed to work the entire body. Though exercising in an atmosphere of at 40.5°C (105°F) heat and around 40% humidity might feel a bit odd at first, it's thought to increase flexibility, and getting a bit sweaty will help purge your body of toxins too."


Dinner tonite was a modge podge of cultures.  I started out wanting to make shrimp egg foo young.  I decided I didn't want to stand in front of the stove and make 4 of them so, I did it frittata style. I lovingly call this dish "frittata foo young." I made it in a small baking sheet.  Then, I made popovers to go with it. 


Popovers

{I made 8 and mine didn't "pop".  I think I should have made fewer and put more batter into each one}
Calories (for 8 popovers):  71
Fat:  .2g
Carbs:  13.5
Protein:
Ingredients
2 egg whites or equivilant of 2 eggs worth of egg substitute
1 cup skim milk, warmed for 30 seconds in the microwave (should be lukewarm to warm)
1 cup all-purpose flour

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a muffin tin with pan spray.  When the oven heats up put muffin tin in and heat that for about 5 minutes.
  2. Whisk together flour, milk and eggs.  Make sure there are no lumps.
  3. Divide the batter between 6 muffin cups.
  4. Bake for 40 minutes until brown and crispy

Frittata Foo Young
Serves 4
Calories:  265
Fat: 2.2g
Carbs:  16.8g
Protein:  42.4g

Ingredients
1 lb shrimp, chopped
1.5 cups egg substitute
.5 cup skim milk
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups peas

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400
  2. Whisk together egg substitute and milk 
  3. Stir in chopped shrimp, onion and peas
  4. Line a small jelly roll pan (baking sheet) with parchement paper and spray with pan spray
  5.  Pour egg mixture into jelly roll pan
  6. Bake for 25 minutes.  Turn on broiler.  Place pan on the top rack and cook for 10 minutes until the top is set and slightly browned.

And onto my report of week 1.
Week 1 Wrap-Up
This week wasn't as rough as I expected.  I really didn't cheat that much.  Might have overdone it a bit with the grapes and I DEFINITELY ate too much popcorn on Wednesday but, I didn't dip into anything that would substantially expand my waistline.  I even made 65 calorie frozen yogurt!  {Recipe will be up soon}

I'm trying to cut out soda and I'm very slowly doing that.  I'm going through 10 times as much Mio than I have been but, I only drink 1 soda a day.


Meals
I post all my meals to Instagram.  To follow me on Instagram click here.My username is K8ERaymond.
Workouts for Week 1
Sunday:  Some swimming with the girls
Monday - Wednesday:  Weight training, a little swimming + walking
Thursday:  Rest day
Friday: Yoga + swimming
Saturday: Hot Yoga

I'm not weighing in this week.  I am only doing measurements every 2 weeks.  11 weeks till photo time!

No comments:

Post a Comment