I finally found a use for it. Happy Herbivore's Mushroom Burgers. The recipe came out of the Happy Herbivore cookbook my sister, Sarah, got me for Christmas. This book is awesome!
Here's the recipe:
2 slice of whole wheat bread (I used reduced calorie oatmeal bread)
8 oz button mushrooms
1 15oz can dark red kidney beans
1 medium onion
1 T minced garlic
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I only added this to try and stiffen the mix)
2 T soy sauce
2 T steak sauce
2 T barbecue sauce
- Put the bread in the food processor and create crumbs. Put them in a mixing bowl
- Process the mushrooms until very finely chopped. Put in bowl with breadcrumbs
- Do the same thing with the beans and onion
- Add all of the wet ingredients and flour to bowl with the veggies and beans. Mix well.
- Form 7 or 8 patties with your hands
- Put patties on a baking sheet that has been greased with pan spray.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes
- Flip the burgers and respray. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Flip again and spray again. Bake 5 minutes.
I topped it just like I would a normal burger. The recipe was a bit thin and that's why I added the flour. Now if I could only find my camera for a picture....But, I'll post a picture once I find my camera. Enjoy!
The best part about these burgers? According to Caloriecount.about.com They only have 111 calories and 0.6 grams of fat.