Friday, January 11, 2013

New Recipe For New Tools

Ever had this happen to you?  You ask for a new gadget for Christmas/your birthday and when you get it you can't find a reason to use it?  Yep, that totally happened to me.  Ken gave me a mini-food processor for Christmas.  I had been asking for one for MONTHS, since my normal sized one died.  But, I haven't made anything that's called for using it.  

I finally found a use for it.  Happy Herbivore's Mushroom Burgers.  The recipe came out of the Happy Herbivore cookbook my sister, Sarah, got me for Christmas.  This book is awesome!

Here's the recipe:

2 slice of whole wheat bread (I used reduced calorie oatmeal bread)
8 oz button mushrooms
1 15oz can dark red kidney beans
1 medium onion
1 T minced garlic
1/4 cup whole wheat flour  (I only added this to try and stiffen the mix)
2 T soy sauce
2 T steak sauce
2 T barbecue sauce


  1. Put the bread in the food processor and create crumbs. Put them in a mixing bowl
  2. Process the mushrooms until very finely chopped.  Put in bowl with breadcrumbs
  3. Do the same thing with the beans and onion
  4. Add all of the wet ingredients and flour to bowl with the veggies and beans.  Mix well.
  5. Form 7 or 8 patties with your hands
  6. Put patties on a baking sheet that has been greased with pan spray.
  7. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes
  8. Flip the burgers and respray.  Bake for 8 minutes.
  9. Flip again and spray again.  Bake 5 minutes.

I topped it just like I would a normal burger. The recipe was a bit thin and that's why I added the flour.  Now if I could only find my camera for a picture....But, I'll post a picture once I find my camera.  Enjoy!  

The best part about these burgers?  According to Caloriecount.about.com They only have 111 calories and 0.6 grams of fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment