Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Mushroom Quesadillas. No Stove Required!


Mushrooms, the meatless meat.  I love, love, love mushrooms.  I have so much love for them that I had to use the word 3 times!  I think I use mushrooms in almost all of my savory dishes.  I probably eat more than 2 pounds a week.    They have a whole bunch of nutritional benefits.  Did you know that mushrooms are the only vegetable with vitamin D?   And 3 oz of mushrooms provide 3 grams of protein!  

Enough mushroom love.  On to recipe love!!  If y'all remember, I lived with only 1 burner on my stove for about 2 years.  I didn't get a 4 burner stove until my birthday.  During those 2 years I learned how to do things a bit differently in order to get every part of dinner done in a timely fashion.  One trick I learned was to saute mushrooms and onions in the oven.  It takes longer but, it frees your stove (and you) to do other things.  

Please pardon my photo.  My quesadilla completely fell apart when I tried to take it off the baking sheet.





Mushroom Quesadillas

Ingredients
12-16 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 (14 oz) package lite tofu, sliced 
1 cup fat free shredded cheddar

4 (or 8) tortillas (I used Ole spinach and herb fat free tortillas)


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400
  2. Spray a baking sheet with pan spray, place the mushrooms and onions evenly on it an spray them with more spray
  3. On a separate sprayed pan lay the tofu
  4. Bake the tofu for 15 minutes, turn and bake for another 15, until it's brown on both sides
  5. Bake the mushrooms for 45-60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes
  6. When the tofu is done cut it into large pieces
  7. If you are only using 4 tortillas on one half of each of the tortillas layer 2 tablespoons of cheese, 1/4 of the mushroom mixture and 1/4 of the tofu and another 2 tablespoons of cheese. Fold in half and microwave 30-60 seconds until the cheese melts
  8. If  you are using 8 tortillas: Lay down 4, evenly spread 2 tablespoons of cheese on the top of the tortilla, then 1/4 of the mushrooms, 1/4 of the tofu and another 2 tablespoons of the cheese.  Top with another tortilla and microwave for 60 seconds until cheese melts

For more information on the benefits of mushrooms and a bunch of recipes check out
MushroomInfo.com.

What's your favorite mushroom recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment