Thursday, October 3, 2013

Roller Skating Fun With My Girls


We spent the whole weekend at the skating rink in Ormond Beach.  Mo's school did a fundraiser at the local roller rink on Saturday and Sunday we went back for a bithday party for a classmate of Sunny's.  I forgot how much I like to skate.  Almost makes me want to buy a pair of skates and dress up as a roller disco lady or a Roller Derby girl for Halloween.....almost.  {I don't dress up anymore though}

I honestly forgot how much fun skating was.  My dad used to take my sister and I skating every Saturday morning when I was younger.  I used to love it. I own a pair of roller blades that I have given up trying to use.  I rented a pair of quads (roller skates) at the rink and had a blast skating with the girls.

Roller skating isn't just fun.  It has a bunch of health benefits.  According to Planet On Wheels some of the health benefits of roller skating include:

  • Low-impact exercise for joints
  • High caloric burn
  • Aerobically as good as jogging or cycling
  • Involves all the major muscle groups
  • Mentally uplifting
  • Fun, hip and possibly glamorous
Skating works all your lower body muscles, your core and your arms.  Did you know that skating is actually a low impact workout?  I am semi-surprised by that.  The calories burned by skating are quite impressive.  

For a 60 minute workout --
A 120 pound person burns 336 calories
A 150 pound person burns 462 calories
A 175 pound person burns 567 calories
A 200 pound person burns  672 calories

So what are you waiting for?  CLICK HERE to find a roller rink near you and get skating!

What's your favorite healthy past-time from your childhood?

1 comment: