Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Cookies

Until last year I never did Christmas presents for the girls' teachers.  I don't know why but, I just didn't.  {Does that make me a horrible parent?}  But, last year I decided to do cookies for them. I figure that I would want edible gifts if I was a teacher.  {I mean seriously, how many "World's Greatest" or "#1 Teacher" mugs and knick-knacks does a teacher need?!??}

Last year I made "traditional" cookies, loaded with butter and sugar.  After the fact I decided that I wasn't being true to me by making them like that.  A vegan wouldn't buy eggs to make cookies with.  Someone who follows the Paleo diet probably wouldn't make non-Paleo cookies.  Why am I going to make cookies that I wouldn't even feed my kids??  I decided to alter all the cookies, except 1, to be low fat.  People love the flourless peanut butter cookies so I make them every time I need to bring cookies somewhere.  




Peanut Butter
From Martha Stewart
makes 16

Ingredients
1 cup peanut butter
.75 cup sugar
1 egg
.5 t baking soda

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350.  
  2. Mix together all ingredients
  3. Roll 1 Tablespoon of dough into balls and place on cookie sheet
  4. Bake for 12-14 minutes.  Rotate halfway thru.
  5. Cool on pan for 5 minutes before transferring to cookie sheet. 


Chocolate Chip
From: Happy Herbivore Light & Lean
Makes 16

Ingredients
.33 cup plain applesauce
.5 cup brown sugar
1 t vanilla
.25 cup nonfat milk
1 cup flour
1 t baking powder
1 T cornstarch
.5 cup chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Grease cookie sheet
  2. Combine all the wet ingredients in one bowl and the dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) in another.
  3. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet
  4. Fold in chocolate chips
  5. Drop on cookie sheet and bake 7-10 minutes.  Rotate halfway through.  



Oatmeal Raisin
Quaker Oatmeal "Raisin" Cookies
This recipe originally calls for chocolate chips but, I substituted raisins and dried cranberries for the chocolate chips
makes 5 dozen

Ingredients
2 cups pureed zucchini
1 cup brown sugar, packed
.5 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 T milk
2 t vanilla
1.75 cup flour
1 t baking soda
2.5 cup oatmeal
4 cups dried fruit (I used raisins and cranberries)

Directions

  1. Heat oven  to 375
  2. Mix zucchini puree and sugars together
  3. Add eggs, milk and vanilla
  4. Mix in flour, baking soda, and oatmeal.
  5. Fold in fruit
  6. Drop by the tablespoon on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 9-11 minutes.

Banana Bread
Adapted From:  Cook This, Not That 350 Calorie Meals

Ingredients
4 ripe bananas (about 2 cups)
.75 cup Greek yogurt 
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
.75 cup sugar (I start with .25 cups and figure out how sweet it needs to be)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 9x5 loaf pan.  (I used a 4 loaf mini pan)
  2. Puree bananas, yogurt, eggs and vanilla in a blender or food processor
  3. In a separate bowl mix together the remaining ingredients
  4. Fold banana mixture into flour mixture
  5. Pour into pan and bake for 50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.  The mini loaf pans take about 35-40 minutes  (if the top starts to brown before the inside is. done then put tin foil over the top) 

Do you have any good healthy cookie recipes?  Do you alter normal recipes to make them healthier?

No comments:

Post a Comment