Monday, December 2, 2013

Happy Herbivore Book Review

I'm really excited about this month.  It's only the second day but it already seems to be going well.  The girls and I sat and watched Christmas shows and movies yesterday and I got a bit of Christmas shopping done today.

I'm having issues figuring out what to get Kaylee and Mo.  I want to get them everything and I can't make up my mind.

Are you having issues finding the perfect gift for the foodie in your life?  Well I have a suggestion.  The new book from Lindsay Nixon, The Happy Herbivore.  The Happy Herbivore is a blog that I follow religiously.  I received her book, Happy Herbivore Light & Lean a few weeks ago to review.   

This book is great.  There are over 150 recipes.  The first half is recipes and the second half has some exercises and workouts.  Perfect healthy living book.  I would say that if you are new to the healthy living scene, this book is definitely something you should pick up.  

All of her recipes contain no added fat or oil and are plant-based.  This is the description from the blog.
  
"I don't cook with oils or other added fats. All my recipes are fat-free or low fat and I focus on using whole, unprocessed plant foods -- but nothing obscure or bizarre! I use normal "everyday" ingredients we all have on hand and most of my recipes come together in 20 minutes or less, too!
I keep it healthy, affordable, easy, no fuss and most importantly: delicious!"

Her recipes are perfect for my dietary restrictions.  
As soon as I opened the book I was in love.  Every single recipe looked delicious and called for me to try it.  Since I received the book 2 weeks ago I have already made 3 recipes and have 6 more on the menu for December.  

The recipe I'm sharing with you today is one of my favorites.  When the girls and I have smoothie and muffin nite I like to try a new recipe.  Luckily, smoothie nite was planned for a few days after the book arrived in the mail.  




 


Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
Makes 12
Soy-free, Fat-free, Quick

If I had to pick a favorite kind of muffin, I think blueberry muffins would be it for me. With their hint of lemon, these muffins make me think of sunny, relaxed mornings. I also love that they’re made with vegan yogurt (a boost of protein!) and very little sugar.

2 c white whole-wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
pinch salt
¼ c raw sugar
1 ripe (spotted) banana
½ c vanilla nondairy milk, divided
6 oz vegan yogurt (plain, vanilla, or blueberry)
¼ c unsweetened applesauce
1 c blueberries (thawed, if using frozen)
3–4 tbsp lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line muffin tin with paper or silicone cups or use a nonstick pan, and set aside. In
a mixing bowl, whisk flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. In a small food processor or
blender, whiz banana with 14 cup nondairy milk until silky smooth. Stir into flour mixture, then add yogurt, applesauce, and remaining nondairy milk. Stir a few times, add blueberries and lemon zest, and stir gently, folding in blueberries, until just combined. Spoon into muffin cups and bake 15–20 minutes
or until muffins are golden, firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Per Muffin
Calories . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 116
Fat. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.8g
Carbs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  25.6g
Fiber. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  2.9g
Sugars. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8.8g
Protein. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3.5g
WW Points. . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3

 
 


Do you have any favorite bloggers?  How excited are you for this holiday season?

No comments:

Post a Comment