Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Kitchen Sink Stew

Normally my family isn't very helpful when it comes to dinner.  When I ask what they would like they normally respond, "it doesn't matter", "whatever you want", "I don't know", or "I don't care."  So, when I actually get requests I love it.  The other night I recieved a request for stew.  Coincidentally enough I was already planning on doing stew the following nite.  We ended up getting into a conversation of what should be in the stew and the following recipe is what we came up with.  I actually added vegetarian sausage into it.  I didn't calculate it into the nutritional information but, I added a whole roll of it.  It shouldn't add very many extra calories but, it does up the protein and sodium some too.

To go with it I made some cornbread (one of Kaylee's favorite things.)  The recipe came from Happy Herbivore's new book Light & Lean.  It is really good.  I normally don't like cornbread and I found that I could tolerate this one.  Yet again, I didn't get a photo.  

These recipes were so go we all went back for seconds {and thirds and fourths...}   

Kitchen Sink Stew

Serves about 10
Calories: 153.7
Fat: 0.6 grams
Sodium: 325 grams
Protein: 6.4 grams
2 lbs Mushrooms, quatered
2 onions. diced
2 ribs celery, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 medium carrots, chopped
3 radishes, sliced
2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
1 package Lipton onion soup mix mixed with 4 cups water
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup frozen peas
2 T cornstarch mixed with 2 T water

Directions

  1. In a large pot saute onions, radishes, celery and carrots until onions are translucent.
  2. Add mushrooms and saute until they are soft. 
  3. Add sweet potatoes, onion soup and broth.
  4. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer for 20 minutes
  5. Add peas, bring back to a boil and simmer for another 10 minutes
  6. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and boil until thickened (about 2 minutes)



Cornbread Muffins
Adapted from: Happy Herbivore Light & Lean

Ingredients

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 T baking powder
1 cup skim milk
.25 cup sugar free maple syrup

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Spray muffin tin (do NOT use cupcake liners or they will stick)
  3. Mix the dry ingredients together
  4. Add in wet ingredients
  5. Bake 15 minutes
Is your family helpful when it comes to making decisions about what's for dinner?


No comments:

Post a Comment