Monday, February 17, 2014

This Vs. That

Every healthy website has guides on how to make healthyswaps in order to cutout some of the fat and calories in recipes.  I thought I'dtry a new piece that shows you MY personal favorite swaps.  As I've told youbefore I'm a total peanut butter addict.  A bowl of peanut butter with a few scoops of jelly was not an uncommon lunch for me.  I didn't realize that besides having roughly 860 calories it also had over 48 grams of fat and atleast 40 grams of sugar!

Recently I came to a realization.  Jelly is fruit {kinda.}  Why don't I put REAL fruit on my peanut butter PB2 sandwiches instead of jelly or jam?

Real fruit is so much more beneficial than jelly, jam and preserves.  

1 cup of sliced strawberries
Calories: 54
Fat: 0.5
Sodium:  2 mg
Potassium:  254 
Carbs:  13
Fiber:  3.3
Sugar:  8
Protein: 1.1



1 Tablespoon Smuckers Seedless Strawberry Jam
Calories: 50
Fat: 0
Sodium:  0 mg
Potassium:  0 
Carbs:  13
Fiber:  0
Sugar:  12
Protein: 0

I know what you're thinking. "But the jam is pureed and the strawberries are sliced."  Okay, let's look at another set of numbers

1 cup of strawberry puree
Calories: 76
Fat: 0.7
Sodium:  2 mg
Potassium:  355 
Carbs:  18
Fiber:  4.6
Sugar:  11
Protein: 1.6

So see that??  A cup of puree is healthier than 2 tablespoons of jam.  The calories, sugar and carbs are significantly lower, and you'll get in some extra fiber and protein.  You'll be doing your body a major favor by swapping your jelly for fruit.

The trick is to make sure that your fruit is super ripe and sweet.  And don't limit yourself to just strawberries!  Any fruit will do.  I've put almost every different type of fruit on my sandwiches.  I actually haven't found one I DON'T like.  And doesn't this look delicious???

What do you like on your peanut butter sandwiches?

No comments:

Post a Comment