Friday, November 9, 2012

Eggplant Lasagna

I love it when a change I make in the house has a positive impact.  Here's something you might not know, this girl --->
(the one that's NOT me) LOVES meat.  She loves it as much as Mr. Amazing.  But, she also claims she wants to be a vegetarian.  (Ever met a meat-loving vegetarian?  Neither have I)  So when the following conversation happened I was very shocked.  

Kay:  "What are we having for dinner?"
Me:   "Chicken Nuggets."
Kay:  "Why have we had meat every day this week?"
Me:   "I don't know."
Kay:  "I keep asking myself when we're going to have vegetables.  I'm tired of meat!"

{Let me start out by saying that we have had veggies w/ dinner every nite but the main dish has been a meat product}  I eased her mind by letting her know that we aren't having meat for almost a week.  But honestly if it were up to me this house would be 100% meat free....except for holidays.  I would be nice on holidays. 

But I, of course, can't eat chicken nuggets.  I think that if she liked eggplant then she would have skipped the nuggets and opted to eat what I made for myself.  I've had a recipe floating around in my head for a while now.  I've been wanting to do lasagna with eggplant as noodles.  My fresh vegetable supply is getting low and I had an eggplant I wanted to do something more exciting with so, I found this recipe from Fatfree Vegan.  You could make this recipe non-vegan by substituting the tofu for ricotta.  (For some reason that sounds really odd, to make a recipe NONvegan...) 

An Eggplant Lasagna collage!  Super exciting!
 
Eggplant Lasagna
(adapted from Fatfree Vegan)

1 Large Eggplant
 
Salt
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed (I used the 1/2 bag of fresh I had)
1/2 lb Lite Tofu
2  tsp oregano
2 T minced garlic
1 tsp oregano
2 cups spaghetti sauce (you can use my homemade one here

Directions
  1. Slice eggplant into thin slices (I used my mandolin)
  2. Salt each slice and lay on a cookie sheet with paper towels and allow the eggplant to drain for 20 minutes.  When 20 minutes is up, rinse the salt off the slices and blot dry with paper towels.
  3. Preheat oven to 375.  
  4. Mash the tofu.  Add spinach and everything else besides eggplant and sauce.  Mix together.  (Make sure it's smooth)
  5. Put sauce in the bottom of a pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
  6. Layer the eggplant, then half the tofu mixture.  Repeat the layering.  Put one last layer of eggplant on the top and then add sauce.  
  7. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes, uncover and bake for another 10-15.

Do you have any dietary restrictions that your house follows?  How do your kids feel about them?

No comments:

Post a Comment