Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My garden

The picture doesn't look like much but it's my garden.  I have corn, squash, watermelon, jalapenos, snow peas, cilantro, chives and a few other things growing.

Every year I try to grow vegetables.  I would love to be able to say that 90% 50% of the vegetables that the family eats are picked from my yard.  Normally I only have sucess with basil and marigolds.  {They normally overgrow my other plants}  

This year my plants are doing better than normal.  I think it's because I started them early.  Hopefully I'll actually get vegetables, not just green.  Some of my plants are actually already edible.  I'm going to end up "harvesting" them soon and start some new seeds.  

When I first started planting things (I've tried and failed many time) I didn't do it because there were any benefits.  I did it because A) I had the space B) it was fun and C) there was no reason not to.

Backyard farming has some benefits though.

  1. You can get you family to eat more vegetables
  2. You save money on groceries
  3. It helps the environment
  4. Gardening is exercise
  5. Growing your own vegetables gives you a sense of pride
  6. You can reduce some of your worry about food safety
  7. Reduce your food waste
   Hopefully I will post recipes using what I have grown.  I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Do you have a garden?  What do you grow?
 

SparkPeople.com backyard gardening

UPDATE 4/25/13:  I have stuff growing!!  
Sunflower


Chives, Spinach and Cilantro

Snow Peas
  I'll figure out a recipe for them soon....any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment