Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Is it April Already??!??

Happy April everybody!  I can't believe that 1/3 of the year is almost over.  Only 3 weeks until Sunny's birthday and 6.5 weeks until Kaylee's.Next time I turn around I'll be leaving for vacation {vacation plan post coming soon!}

It's finally starting to warm up and it finally feels like spring.  I love spring.  The produce, the animals, and the weather.  I especially love the switch to spring produce.  Watermelon season starts the first week of May according to my watermelon guy (yes I have a watermelon guy)

On Easter morning the girls, my dad (he's been in town since Thursday,) and I went to Panera.  Panera has been a tradition for Kaylee, Mantha and him since it opened about a year ago.  Sunny just recently got included in the tradition (along with the Bob Evan's and McDonald's PlayPlace traditions.)  I was lucky enough to be able to join in on this trip.  

Sometimes I feel like it's easier to exclude myself due to the fact that I have to spend hours researching the menu in order to find what I can eat.  But I know that the time I get to spend with my dad outweighs the annoyance.  

On the menu there were only 2 things that I could consider, the Power Breakfast Egg White Bowl with Roasted Turkey (as long as you ask for it without turkey or pesto) or the Fat Free SuperFruit Power Smoothie.    I decided to go with the smoothie and a cup of coffee.


The smoothie was really amazing.  (It probably would have tasted better if I hadn't burned 75% of the taste buds off my tongue with my coffee though).  It was sweet but not too sweet, the flavor was complex, it was just all around delicious.  I would definitely go back for it again. Add bonus: it kept me full a lot longer than I expected. I normally get hungry about 2 hours after I eat and I start to munch.  I didn't eat again for probably 4 or 5 hours. 

According to Brandeating.com the smoothie is a "superfruit power puree (which includes apple, blackberry and blueberry purees, cherry, concord grape, pomegranate, elderberry and acai juices from concentrate, and plum puree) and blends it with Oikos organic plain Greek non-fat yogurt and ads a boost of ginseng for good measure." 


The nutritionals on the smoothie are pretty good too.  Besides being fat-free, it has 200 calories,  100% of your daily B6 and B12, 150% of your daily vitamin C, 15 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber, and a bunch of antioxidants.  I would definitely recommend this.

What do you look forward to most about spring?  What is your favorite spring produce?

Below are some links about seasonal produce.  Take a look.  I also have a graphic on my healthy photo page.


Seasonal Produce Links
Food Network Spring Produce Guide

 

Photo Courtesy of: For the Love of Food 

No comments:

Post a Comment