Friday, April 5, 2013

Pulling Dinner Out of Thin Air

This morning was gloomy and yucky.   Normally I goto the farmers market and the grocery store on Fridays.  I ended up not going because my vegetable guy doesn't come when they call for rain and I didn't need any necessities at the grocery store.  Plus, I hate driving in the rain and I avoid it at all costs. 

I spent all day deciding what I wanted to make for dinner since I didn't get the last few ingredients for what I had planned.  I bounced around between a few ideas and finally settled on a fish stoup (as Rachel Ray calls it).  Not quite a soup, not quite a stew. 
Thick, chunky, yummy and quick!


Calories  187
Fat 2.1
Protein 32.3
Vitamin A 382%
Vitamin C 329%
Iron 27%
Calcium 47%

Ingredients
1.5 lbs tilapia
1 cup onions
1 cup diced tomato
1 T minced garlic
2 t tomato paste
1-1.5 cup water
2 head bok choy
1 t old bay

Directions
  1. Slice the onions and bok choy.
  2. Sautee in large pot until soft and slightly brown, while that is going cut your tilapia into chunks
  3. Add tomatoes, and tomato paste and cook for about 10 minutes over medium
  4. Add water, old bay and fish to pot.  Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and cook for about 10 minutes (until the fish is cooked through.
This takes about 30-45 minutes and it it delicious.  I served it with potatoes and it made a filling meal.

Have you come up with any spur of the moment meals? 

No comments:

Post a Comment