Friday, May 24, 2013

Friday Randomness

While looking through some old posts the other day I found I had a bunch of half written posts that I {obviously} never finished.  There were a few with some good recipes I really wanted to share with you but, for whatever reason, they never got done.  So, I've put together a post with all of them.

But first, my review on the Chisel & TRX Abs class with Christine at Thriv yesterday.  This class is no joke!  It's a mixture of light weights, kettlebells, bands and TRX.  It starts with a simple warmup, skipping, side shuffles, arm circles, etc.  Then the hard stuff started.  We used a step and all the equipment (besides the TRX to do combination upper and lower body moves.  Bicep curls while stepping, lunges while doing raises, and kettlebell swings to name a few.  As I've talked about before I'm not a sweater, I don't really sweat.  But, about 10 minutes in, at the end of the first exercise, I was drenched.  
Then came the abs portion of the class.  Planks, leg raises and pikes.  My legs and abs were burning.  Christine kept coming by and correcting my form when my hips would drop on planks, or when I was turning out my feet during squats (old dancer habits die hard.)  
I am so sore today it's not funny.  And I will be there next week to do it all over again.  I highly suggest taking this class. 



squash baked ravioli purses
1 medium Butternut Squash
2 T minced garlic
1 medium onion, diced
1 package of wonton wrappers

Directions
  1. Cook squash until soft. (I peel and cub it then roast in a 400 degree oven for about 30-60 minutes) and sautee onions and garlic until golden and soft.
  2. Heat oven to 375.
  3. Mash squash and mix in onions
  4. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment and spray with pan spray
  5. Lay out wonton wrappers and add 1-2 tablespoons of squash mixture in center
  6. Pick a way you want to fold them (Nasoya has a list of directions.  Click here to be check it out)
  7. Use a bit of water to moisten the sides so they'll stick together when you close them
  8. Spray the tops with pan spray and bake for 13-17 minutes until golden brown
I served them with a roasted vegetable gravy (not pictured)

roasted vegetable gravy
2 packet Lipton Mushroom Onion soup mix
1/4 flour
4 cup water
16 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, sliced thin
a few cloves of garlic, optional

  1. Heat oven to 425
  2. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with pan spray
  3. Place mushrooms, onions and garlic on sheet and spray with pan spray.  Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and soft
  4. Make soup mix according to gravy directions on box.  When the gravy is boiling add in your vegetables and heat through.
Don't you love when you come across a DIY project online that is something you actually need?  My MP3 holder arm band is too small for my new phone so, I was stuck listening to gym music.  (which is okay but, listening to the sounds of the gym, in my opinion, is distracting)  I was really excited when I came across this DIY project online.  It's a cell phone/MP3 player holder made out of an old tube sock.  Is it glamorous?  No.  Is it pretty?  Nope.  (Especially since I made it out of an old army sock.  I need to find a prettier sock to use)  Does it do it's job?  Most definitely.  It works better than the one I paid money for actually.  It's comfortable and I only readjust it if I've touch my phone. It doesn't slip at all. 



DIY MP3/Cell Phone Holder 
What you need:
  • Old Tube Sock
  • Scissors
Directions
  1. Cut the foot part of the sock off.  Make sure you are left with only the tube.
  2. Turn the sock inside out and fold the bottom of the tube up so it meets the top of the tube and so it's right-side-out again.
  3. Insert your phone into the pocket you just made.
  4. Put your arm into the hole and pull it up to the middle of your arm.
Some people prefer to put on the sock before folding it over their phone.  I was no talented enough to do that so I put my phone in THEN put it on.  But, do it whichever way works best for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment