Saturday, May 4, 2013

What Did the Daddy Tomato Say to the Baby Tomato?

Ketchup!  

And that's exactly what this post is....a catch up post.  Between school (which is over next week) and life, FFQ has taken a back seat.  

So, the semester is going to over next week.  I'm so happy!  The last few weeks have totally stressed me out.  I just want to be able to relax for one whole day and do nothing and not worry about whether or not I have homework or studying to do.  And after my last final on Thursday I can start working on the last bit that needs to be done to for my AFAA certification.  I'm so excited about it,  I really don't think y'all understand how much this excites me.  

On Wednesday I booked all our vacation plans.  I'll be posting about those later in the month.  But, the whole family is super excited and can't wait.

I have started 2 personal challenges.  

Challenge #1
For the entire month of May I have decided to cut out everything processed that I can make myself.  Chips?  GONE!  Pretzels?  Getting rid of them!  I will still be eating things like soy milk and cheese and I might try my hand at making sandwich bread.  (I love baking bread so it won't upset me too much)
Why am I doing this challenge?  Because I'm sick of being in pain.  I'm tired of having to look at every package and make sure that I'm picking up the correct brand of things.  I'm done with it.  So, to gain a piece of mind and to save my stomach I'm just cutting it all out. 

Challenge #2
I WILL challenge.  Every day this month I'm going to start the day with a phrase beginning with I WILL.  This is because I've found some days hum-drum and boring.  Why not try and make every day a challenge? 

Here are my I WILL statements since the start of May..
Photo courtesy of: World's Strongest Librarian




Photo courtesy of: Inhabitots
If you want to join in then you're more than welcome!  Use the hastag #IWillFFQ. or post it to my facebook page

So I tried something new tonite for dinner (I really wish I had snapped a picture)

Mushroom Gravy Oatmeal
.5 cup Quaker hot cereal (or oatmeal)
1 cup water

1 cup vegetable broth
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 sliced onion
1-2 T minced garlic
1 T cornstarch

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. In a small bowl toss mushrooms and onions with garlic
  3. Lay out on greased sheet pan
  4. Place on top rack of oven for 20 minutes
  5. Boil vegetable broth
  6. In a separate bowl mix together cornstarch and a bit of water
  7. Take your broth off of heat and whisk in cornstarch, put back on heat and boil until thickened (about 2 minutes)
  8. When mushrooms are done then put them into gravy
  9. Cook oatmeal according to package instructions and put into bowl
  10. Spoon 2T-1/4 cup of gravy over oatmeal. 

It was delicious.  It was alot like rice with gravy but a bit heartier.  Pure deliciousness.  Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo so, I'll have a nice shrimp fajita recipe for you.

Are you challenging yourself to anything this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment