Friday, May 10, 2013

Kooking With Kaylee: Vegetable Pasta Toss

As I said a few weeks ago, I'm doing a new part of my blog called:

Yesterday Kaylee decided that she wanted to make dinner tonite.  I told her she could as long as she blogged about it.  So, here she is.

Hi! I'm Kaylee.  I'll be 10 next Saturday!!  I love cooking, reading and eating.  My favorite things to cook vary from cakes to pastas to salad.  I like to cook because I always watched mom cook.  It was fascinating to watch so I started asking to help.  I also like the fact that it's science.  I love science.  You measure and mix things, and see the reaction.  My favorite things to eat are pumpkin cheesecake and Japchae.

I was flipping through a cookbook yesterday and found this recipe.  I checked with mom to make sure that she could have everything.  When she told me that we could make some changes and it would be okay, I was excited.  I asked if I could make it sometime and she told me I could cook tonite.

This recipe interested me because it seemed like something interesting to try and simple to cook.  I knew that I could do everything.  I also though the flavors would go well together.

While I was in school mom did all the chopping for me.  When I got home we got everything out of the fridge.  I heated the pan.  Then I sauteed the mushrooms and onions and added some pepper (because everything tastes better with pepper.)  We added all the other vegetables and warmed them up.  Once they were heated we added the pasta and dressing and stirred it all up together.

I liked that it had different shades of green.  It actually looked like something you'd buy for decoration.  It tasted magnificent!  All the flavors blended really well.  You could taste a bit of the mushrooms, a bit of the spinach and the dressing in every bite.

So get in the kitchen and make this tonite!


Vegetable Pasta Toss
adapted from Cooking Rocks! Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals for Kids
Calories: 152
Fat: 3.8 grams {I personally believe this is wrong}
Protein: 10.5 grams
Serves 6

16 oz (2 packages) Shirataki Noodles (found near the tofu in the produce section of the grocery store) {you can substitute 8 oz of regular noodles}
16 oz white mushrooms, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
1 T minced garlic
1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts, in water, drained
1 box frozen spinach, thawed and drained
16 oz frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
1 package Hidden Valley Garden Green Onion Dip Mix
.5 cup fat free mayo
.5 cup skim milk
.25 cup fat free sour cream

Directions
  1. Cook pasta according to package
  2. Whisk together the dip mix, mayo, skim milk and sour cream.  Place in the fridge until ready to use. 
  3. Spray large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.Cook mushrooms until they are soft and a little brown.
  4. Add artichokes and heat through.
  5. Add spinach, broccoli and garlic and garlic and heat through.
  6. In a large bowl add veggie mixture with pasta and toss with dressing.

{This dish can be served warm or cold}

I hope you enjoyed the dish Kaylee picked out to make for you.  She's really excited about this post so leave a comment to let her know how you liked it.  

2 comments: