Friday, August 30, 2013

Roasted Marshmallow Puffed Rice Treats

What is ooey, gooey, sticky, crispy and crunchy?  No idea?  I'll give you another hint.  It's fat free, and kinda healthy not horribly unhealthy, and {atleast for me} brings back childhood memories.  Still stumped?

It's Rice Crispy Treats!!

I've been getting tired of the healthy desserts I've been eating the past 6 weeks.  {Has it honestly been 6 weeks??!!??}  I've also been in a bit of a food funk.  So, in order to deal with both of these problems I HAD to treat myself.  I think we all deserve the occasional treat now and then, right?  Plus, when you are living a fat free life, treats cannot be easily bought at the store.  [Side note:  Fig Newton and Snackwells both make fat free cookies.]

Anyway, back to the dessert at hand.  As I have stated before {many times I believe} I love roasted marshmallows.  I randomly roast them in my oven as a quick treat for myself.  When I came across this recipe on Mallow and Co's website I knew I had to give them a try.  Plus, there are only 2 ingredients!  2!!!  Could they make it any easier for you??

I only made 1 change to the recipe.  Instead of using Rice Krispies (or any "Crispy Rice" cereal) I used a combination of puffed rice and puffed wheat cereal.





Roasted Marshmallow Cereal Treat
Adapted from Mallow & Co Toasted Marshmallow Rice Krispy Treats


Ingredients
2 cups Puffed Rice Cereal
2 cups Puffed Wheat Cereal
5 cups marshmallows (if you are using the big ones it's about 40 marshmallows)

Directions
  1. Cover a 9 x 9 inch pan in tin foil and grease with pan spray
  2. Preheat broiler
  3.  Put your cereal in a large mixing bowl, grease a spatula
  4. Lay out your marshmallows on a sheet pan and roast for about 1-3 minutes until they are brown (if you want to you can flip them to half way thorough to get both sides browned)
  5. When marshmallows are browned enough pour them into the mixing bowl with the puffed rice.  
  6. Mix together until everything is combined
  7. Pour into prepared pan and let sit until cool.




I actually cut these into 16 so that drops the totals to:
Calories: 92.625
Carbs: 21.975
Sugar: 15


I remember as a kid my mom used to make Rice Krispie treats all the time for us.  She used to mix in Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Krispies, and other fun cereals.  I'm going to have to try adding some fun stuff to mine next time. 


Do you make Rice Krispie Treats for your kids or yourself?    Do you make them plain or do you add fun things into them?  If so, what do you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment