Tuesday, June 18, 2013

New Recipe!

Ever had one of those days when you don't feel like cooking?  All you want to do is make a hearty dish for the family that doesn't take much time.  That was how I felt today.  I love simple dishes.  More specifically I love simple one-pot dishes.  This is one of those "throw everything into a dish and bake" dishes.  You don't have to do anything more than open a can and do a little mixing.  The kids loved it.  The hubbard squash that I used actually came out of my garden.  This is the second thing, besides the green onions and chives, that I have been able to use.  I'm actually quite proud of using food that I've grown myself.  This dish was the first time I tasted hubbard squash.  I'm not a fan of it.  It will not be making it into my garden next  year.  

The nice thing about this dish is that you could totally throw some meat in it if you wanted to.  A bit of ground beef or cubed poultry would make a nice addition.   




Sage and Garlic Vegetable Bake
Taken From: Betty Crocker Casseroles Recipe Cards book
Servings: 4
{I entered the recipe into my calorie calculator and got a different number from the book.  I will give you both numbers.  The first one is from the book, the second one is the number I got}
Calories:  280 / 148
Fat: 1g / 1.1g
Carbs: 61g /  32g
Protein: 6g / 5.6g

Ingredients
3 cups of squash, cut in 1 inch pieces (I used hubbard and the recipe calls for butternut)
2 cups of carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 (14 oz) cans of stewed tomatoes (do not drain)
2 cups of frozen green beans
1/2 cup of chopped onion
1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
1/2 cup water
2 T minced garlic

Directions
  1. Heat oven to 375
  2. Mixed all the ingredients in a large casserole dish
  3. Cover and bake for 60-75 minutes 

How do you feel about one pot dishes?  

No comments:

Post a Comment