Thursday, September 20, 2012

Barbecued Eggplant

This is what it should look like while it's draining

Close up of the baked eggplant
A gloomy day like today normally calls for a hearty meal.  In my mind pulled pork is a great gloomy day hearty meal.  

But how does a fat-free pescatarian do pulled pork?

They wait until they come across a recipe for it like I did.

BBQ Pulled Eggplant
Adapted from Chubby Vegetarian

Ingredients:
3 medium to large eggplants
Pan Spray
1-2 cups of barbecue sauce

Directions
  1.  Cut eggplant in half lengthwise
  2. Spray it with cooking spray and place it cut side down on a greased baking sheet
  3. Place it in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.
  4. Remove eggplant and cool.  When they are cool peel the skin off.  Put the eggplant in a strainer and let the moisture drain.
  5. Put it back on a baking sheet and coat it with barbecue sauce (you can use as much or as little as you like)
  6. Place it back in the oven for 20 minutes until the sauce starts to caramelize.
  7. Enjoy on a nice whole wheat bun or over pasta.
  WARNING:  I found out the hard way that barbecue sauce has ALOT of sugar in it.  I'm a prediabetic and the sugar in this was a bit much for my body to handle.  So if you have sugar issues I would suggest looking for a low sugar sauce, making your own or staying away from this recipe.

This meal was healthy, filling and delicious.   I also made sauteed cabbage and baked beans.  I love meals like this because of the fact that they are so filling but they don't pack a huge caloric punch.  

I was happy that this wasn't loaded with calories after my exhausting morning workout.   It was another video workout morning.  I found 2 heart pounding workouts on Fitness Blender.

Can you HIIT like a girl?
Lower body Tabata Workout

These 2 workouts were 50 minutes of intensity.  I'm glad I got it in though.  Today was a gloomy, stay-in-the-house type of day.  I wasn't able to go for my bike ride.  I'm trying to work up to 7 miles without being completely worn out so I can bike to school.  If I bike to school I'll save gas, money, and the Earth.  Plus I'll have a built in workout 2 times a week.

What your favorite comfort food?  Have you found a healthier way to make it?

Weeks worth of prompts
Monday -- How much of the world have you seen?
     Answer: I've been to15 states and I've never been to any other countries.  I travel the world through food though
  
Tuesday -- What was the best thing you've ever seen on a trip?
     Answer: Disney World.  Actually it was my kids' faces the first time we went to Disney World.  There's honestly nothing better than watching your daughter's face light up when she meets a princess.  (Or the look of horror when she sees the "scary" Mickey Mouse)

Thursday -- Talk about your favorite photograph


This is one of my favorite pictures.  It's my whole family on one of the happiest days of my life.  From Left to Right:  Gramma (holding Baye), Sirr, Me, Kay, Mo, Mr. Amazing, Sarie and Berto.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment