Monday, September 9, 2013

B is for Book Review



Time for another book review.  

This time it's My Beef With Meat by Rip Esselstyn.

The thing I love about Rip's books (his first one was The Engine 2 Diet) is that he doesn't really go into the ETHICAL reasons behind veganism.  Heck, he doesn't even call it veganism.  He uses the term "plant-strong."  We all know the ethical reasons behind veganism.  And I will not refuse to go into them here.  But, alot of people do not understand the health risks, diseases, and complications associated with eating meat.

The first half of the book is all about nutrition.  He has chapters dedicated to things like, protein, B12, and iron.  He also talks about vegan athletes, vegan kids, weight loss, poop and *gasp* sex.

The second half is the recipes.  140 total.  They all follow these guidelines:
  • They are plant-strong!  One hundred percent plant based, they contain no animal products or by-products.  
  • They contain no added extracted oils.
  • They used little to no salt.
  • They use minimally processed sweeteners (predominately pure maple syrup or dates)
  • They are simple and easy to prepare.

Since I cannot have fat and I am prediabetic (which means I have cut out 99% of my sugar) these recipes are perfect for me.

They recipes are broken up into the normal subcategories, breakfast, sides and appetizers, pizza & flatbreads, sandwiches, etc.  But he also dedicates whole chapters to hummus, salads and tacos!  Most chapters have around 10 recipes.

I seriously can't wait to test out some of the recipes.  Keep watching the blog for them!  And if you can't wait for me then you can click the links below to either buy the book from Amazon or, check out the Engine 2 Diet webpage.  They have some great recipes on there.

I have another book loaded on my Kindle just waiting to be reviewed for you!!


Amazon.com
 Engine 2 Diet

No comments:

Post a Comment