Sunday, September 15, 2013

G is For Garlic and Green Onions

Garlic and green onions.  Classic combination, right?  What could be better?  What could make them better?  Shoving them in a warm crispy loaf of bread!  I love bread.  I especially love homemade bread.

When I was younger it was one of my favorite things to make with my mom.  I can remember when I was in high school I would get bored and randomly whip u a loaf of bread while I was bored at home alone.  My mom was always surprised when she'd come home and there was a fresh warm loaf of bread in the kitchen.  The happy surprise of freshly baked bread was always short-lived due to the fact that the kitchen looked like a bomb went off in it.  {I've nevr been a tidy cook.}

Bread is a great thing, a fun thing, for kids to bake.  Sunny had a ball kneading the dough.  

My loaf didn't rise as much as I would have like it to.  But, it was still delicious.  I could have been due to the fact I had to take Kaylee to swim practice so it was rising a bit too long.


Garlic and Green Onion Bread
Adapted from: King Arthur Flour's Classic Sandwich Bread Recipe

Ingredients
3 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup milk (any type)
1/2 cup hot water

4 tablespoons yogurt
1 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon (or 1 packet) yeast

1-2 T minced garlic
1/4 cup sliced green onions

Directions
  1. Warm your milk and water together until it is 105-110 degrees
  2. Stir sugar into milk, sprinke yeast on top and let sit for about 10 minutes until foamy. {If your yeast doesn't foam, dump it out and start over}
  3. Combine flour, garlic and onions
  4. Stir in liquid 
  5. Knead for 5 minutes until smooth.  
  6. Transfer to a greased bowl and let it rise in a warm, dark place for 60-90 minutes until doubled in size
  7. Punch dough down and knead on a floured surface for another 5-10 minutes.  
  8. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and let rise again for 60-90 minutes
  9. Preheat oven to 350 and bake for about 45 minutes until the center is done
 What do you add to your bread to make it extra special?

No comments:

Post a Comment