Friday, September 20, 2013

L is for Lazy Leftover Soup

If you could eat only one food for the rest of your life what would it be?  I was surprised when Kaylee told me that hers was soup.  I have a feeling that October is going to be a very soup-y month in the house due to this fact. 

For the most part I think soup is a very easy meal.  Not necessarily quick, but, it's easy.  The family is normally happy with the canned stuff but, canned soup is loaded with sodium. I have been searching for years for a nonfat canned soup and you can't find them!  So the other nite when the kids asked me to make soup for dinner I had to make myself soup from scratch.  {Which is what I normally do}

I searched the fridge for  vegetables to go into my soup.  I found all the vegetables that were in need of using and threw together this "stupid simple" soup.  Honestly, if you want to make it a super "stupid simple" recipe then just skip steps 1-3.

Throw Everything in the Pot!!

Vegetable Soup

Serves 2 (the calories are so low that you can eat it all yourself if you want to)

Ingredients
1.3 cups Vegetable Broth 
1-1.5 cups water
5 cups kale
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4-8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 small zucchini, diced
2 T garlic

Directions
  1. Heat sauce pan on high and spray with nonstick spray
  2. Throw all the vegetables (except kale) and garlic in the pot
  3. Saute for approximately 5 minutes until the onions and carrots start to soften
  4. Add broth, water and kale
  5. Bring to a boil then reduced and simmer 20-25 minutes until everything is soft.
Honestly you can throw whatever vegetables you have left in your fridge.  What do you do with your veggies when they get close to dying? 


For some more great customizable soups check out these links:
NY Times: Soup Matrix by Mark Bittman
NY Times: More on the Soup Matrix by Mark Bittman

No comments:

Post a Comment