Friday, September 6, 2013

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

Due to my dietary restrictions I had to give up 95% of the foods I used to love.  I have found comparable substitutes for the other 5%.  These days I very rarely crave certain foods.  I crave normalcy.  I want to eat what everybody else is eating.   Sometimes that happens to be comfort food.  A stick to your ribs meal.  Sausage gravy and biscuits is a meal that I crave.

I'm really not certain why I crave it.  I only ate it once before I got sick.  That was back in 2005 at Krystal in Georgia.  But, this is one of my favorite recipes.  It's quick and simple to whip up. I make my own biscuits for 2 reasons.  1) I love making biscuits and 2) there are no fat free ones in the stores.  But, if you wanted to you could totally use store bought biscuits and that would cut down your prep time and ingredients. 


2 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 T baking powder
3/4 cup sour cream
1.5 T milk or water

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Mix everything together
  3. Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut out circles using a biscuit cutter, circle cookie cutter or a cup
  4. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 10-20 minutes until brown
  5. Serve warm

Sausage Gravy


1 onion, diced
8 oz diced mushrooms
3 T flour or cornstarch
3 cups plain milk
1 packages of Gimmie Lean ground sausage (ground soy crumbles would probably also work)

  1. Saute onions and mushrooms until soft
  2. Crumble sausage and add to the pan and brown
  3. Sprinkle flour over sausage and vegetables and stir for about a minute.  {if the sauce is not thick enough for you add a few more tablespoons of flour or cornstarch}
  4. Whisk in milk, reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened

To assemble the dish:
Cut biscuit in half and ladle gravy on top. 

So, what is your favorite comfort food and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment