Sunday, December 23, 2012

Fat Free Sugar Cookies....FINALLY!!

Before I talk about cookies I'd like to go on a slight rant.  I hate the word "skinny".  I think it sends the wrong message.  In my opinion it doesn't say anything about how healthy a person is.  I would never call myself skinny.  

Am I thin?  Yes.
Thin -- "lean or slender in form, build or stature"

Am I trim? Most definitely.
Trim -- "In good physical condition; fit; slim."

Am I skinny?  No.  When I weighed 107 a few days after my surgery I was skinny.  (Honestly looking back, I was downright scary skinny)
117ish...
Skinny -- "Being very thin."  

So, please, please do not call me skinny.  I work hard to look like this.  I eat clean, I workout, I take care of my body.  Call me what you will, just don't call me skinny.

But, on a totally different note, I finally found a fat free way to make sugar cookies.  I have been searching for a recipe and finally found one! I found this recipe on Happy Herbivore. (click for the recipe)  I altered it so it isn't vegan and it is basically fat free.  The whole wheat flour bumps up the fat but, also increases the healthiness of the recipe.

Honestly I'm not going to lie, I never remember that whole wheat flour has fat in it.  

Ingredients
1/4 cup Egg Beaters (equivalent to 1 egg)
5 T Fat free cream cheese (about 2.5 oz, 1 oz equals 2 T)
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 2/3 whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder

Directions
  1. In a stand mixer, beat the sugar and cream cheese together.
  2. Add in egg substitute, vanilla, and baking powder
  3. Working in batches add the flour.
  4. Take the dough out of the bowl, wrap  in plastic wrap and refrigerate for atleast 2 hours.
  5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  6. On a cutting board dusted with powdered sugar roll out dough to 1/8" thickness
  7. Cut out shapes using cookie cutters
  8. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 5-9 minutes
  9. Put them on a cooling rack until completely cool.
 I'm not 100% certain how many cookies I got out of the recipe.  The original recipe says that I should have gotten 20 cookies.  I KNOW I got more than that but I'm not certain how many.  So, here are the nutritionals for the range.  

20 cookies -- 78 calories, 1 gram of fat
40 cookies -- 39 calories, .5 grams of fat

I'm going to cover them in a powdered sugar glaze.  (1 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar, 3 T milk....stir together)  This adds 20 calories if you got 20 cookies and 15 calories for 40 cookies.



(Side note:  I have come to realize that at least part of the reason people (myself included) gain weight over the holidays is because instead of exercising they socialize with their relatives and guests from out of town.  I have had maybe 45 minute of exercise since my my parents arrived on Wednesday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment