Saturday, December 8, 2012

Happy National Chocolate Brownie Day!

You read right.  National Chocolate Brownie Day!  I love brownies.  I don't eat (or make) them as much as I used to because of my gallbladder.

My kids love brownies.  This was Mo's "birthday cake" from her party last year.


Don't they look delicious?  Brownies that I filled with raspberry and strawberry buttercream and topped with chocolate buttercream.  (Thank you Hershey's for the amazing recipe, found HERE) But the recipe I found for fat free brownies before fell short.  They tasted more like my mom's fluffy gingerbread cake than brownies.  Even though I like that cake, they fell short of what I was looking for.

When I found out about National Brownie Day I knew that I had a reason to try a new recipe. 

Vegan Double Chocolate Brownies from Kurry Leaves

Vegan Double Chocolate Brownies
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1.  Preheat oven to 360 degrees (180 degrees celcius)
2.  Mix all ingredients together
3.  Place batter in a parchement lined, greased 8x8 or 9x9 pan.  (You can use a spatula to smooth it down.  I had a 3 1/2 year old helping me so that's why mine aren't)
4.  Bake for 18-23 minutes  
5.  Cool and cut into 9 pieces

Store in the refrigerator.  They will keep alot longer if you do. 

With a little work this stuff....
Became this....


Not the prettiest batch of brownies but they are darn good!  Super fudgey.  Everybody in the house loved them.

These weigh in at 100 calories and 0.6 grams of fat.  And of course the pumpkin adds beneficial vitamins and nutrients.

 Now I'm going to go study for finals and eat a brownie.  Happy Brownie Day!!  Are you making a batch today to celebrate??  If so, share your recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment