Friday, January 24, 2014

Finally!! A Perfect Veggie Burger...

Everyone has that dish that they can NOT seem to perfect.  I bet you can name one right now can't you?

Mine is a veggie burger.  I've altered every possible aspect of the recipe.  I've tried more online recipes than I can count but, none of them have seen truely delicious until this one.  

I used TVP as my base.  One of the biggest problems I've had with veggie burgers in the past was that they fell apart on me when I would take them out of the pan.  These stayed together very nicely.  

My binders were canned pumpkin and breadcrumbs.  The flavors comepletlly belend.  Nother pverpowers anything else.  They are all together harmoniously.  

I had a bit too much time on my hands so Sunny and I decided to make Naan bread to use as a bun.  





Naan
1.5 cups flour
.5 T active dry yeast
.25 cup warm plain nondairy milk
.5 cup plain nondairy yogurt
1-2 T garlic

Directions
  1. Heat milk in microwave for 20 seconds until warm
  2. Sprinkle yeast on top and let sit for 10 minutes until frothy and bubbly
  3. Mix all the ingredients together and stir until combined
  4. Let rise in a warm dark place (like the oven) for 60-90 minutes
  5. Divide into 10 pieces and roll into either a circle or a square. 
  6. Heat a skillet sprayed with pan spray on high heat.  
  7. Heat naan for about a minute on the first side then flip and cook for another minute on the other side.  Both sides should be golden brown and bubbly.  
  8. Cover with a lid and cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  9. Use 2 per burger.  One on top and one on the bottom.

TVP Burger
2.5 cup TVP (I use Bob's Red Mill)
2.5 c boiling vegetable broth
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 onion, grated

Directions

  1. Put TVP in a bowl, pour boiling water over it and cover.  Let sit for atleast 10 minutes
  2. Mix all other ingredients into the TVP and mix thuroughly.  (I find using my hands is the easiest way but, make sure your TVP is cool enough before you do!)
  3. Form into 5 patties.  
  4. Heat a skillet sprayed with pan spary on medium high heat and cook for about 5-7 minutes each side until golden brown
You can also broil them 5-7 minutes each side

What is the dish that you have been having trouble perfecting?

No comments:

Post a Comment