Saturday, May 5, 2012

Chicken and Dumplings


          I went fruit crazy this week.  Watermelon, pineapple, peaches, and bananas.  I also picked up my Mother's Day dinner.  I got salmon, shrimp and corn.
          Yesterday and today I managed to wreck all my hard work.  Yesterday I made cookies for my neighbor's son because he had surgery.  Today I made my cookie cake for Mother's Day.  I think I'm going to ask Mother Nature to push beach season back a month.  My goal is starting to drift farther away.
          We're celebrating Mother's Day tomorrow. since Mr. Amazing is working all day Sunday.  So starting Sunday I'm cracking down.  I'm going to count every calorie, and exercise my butt off (no pun intended.)






I made a family favorite for dinner tonite.  Vegetarian "chicken" and dumplings.  I didn't want the dumplings so I made biscuits.  I was worried that the biscuits  wouldn't be very good but they were actually awesome (and fat free)

Since I didn't put in the dumplings it was more like vegetables with gravy.  The link to the original recipe (which is super delicious) is at the bottom of the page.



1 large onion, chopped
6 T all-purpose flour
3 T sherry cooking wine
6 c vegetable broth
1/2 c lowfat milk
2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
2 bay leaves
1 t fresh thyme leaves
3 c chopped mushrooms (10 oz)
2 c chopped celery (6 stalks)
1 c chopped carrots
1 c frozen peas
2 T minced fresh chives
Spray a large skillet with pan spray and heat over medium-high heat. 
Sauté onion until it begins to brown, approx 8-10 minutes. 
Add the flour and sherry.  Make sure to scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan
Add the vegetable broth, milk, salt, pepper, bay leaves and thyme. 
Let it come to a boil.  When it does add mushrooms, celery, carrots, peas and chives. 
Reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until the vegetables are tender

I knew I wanted biscuits to go with it so I searched for a biscuit recipe.  I had some sour cream to use so I decided to try this sour cream biscuit recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 T baking powder
3/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 T water

Mix the dry ingredients together then add the sour cream and water.
Roll out and cut out circles.
Bake at 450 for 12 minutes

They turned out wonderfully.


Oh did I mention Baye got her own bag to take to the farmers market?  She even bought some stuff for herself.  All of them were small like her.







Links:
Vegetarian "chicken" and dumplings
Sour Cream Biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment