Thursday, May 3, 2012

Luck of the Irish Soup

Tonite I made Shamrock Soup.  It's a really delicious, filling soup.  I have to say though, this soup isn't a very photogenic soup.  


Shamrock Soup






 It's very low in fat and calories.  I doubled the recipe and got about 11 servings out of it.  So, the nutrition facts aren't quite accurate.  They are for 4 large servings. The total calories is about 184 if you get normal sized servings out of it.  
I adapted this recipe from Disney Family.  


Here's the recipe:


    1/2 cup each: chopped onion, carrot and celery
    3/4 cup dry split peas, rinsed and drained
    1 can (13 3/4 ounces) chicken broth (I actually use vegetable broth)
    1 1/2 cups fat free half-and-half
    4 cups washed and dried fresh spinach leaves


Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan, saute onion, carrot and celery in butter until onion is softened.
  2. Add split peas, chicken broth and half of milk. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until split peas are tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
  3. In blender or food processor, puree split pea mixture with spinach.
  4. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in enough remaining milk to give desired consistency.
  5. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture comes to a simmer.

I'm guessing that this soup has atleast a few servings of vegetables in each bowl.  It's a great way to get your kids to eat veggies.  I got lucky because all of my kids adore vegetables.  Baye even went through a vegetarian stage when she was about 15 months where the only things she would eat would be fruits and vegetables.  Luckily for my wallet it only lasted a few months.  I hadn't found the farmers market yet so, it got very expensive.

Do your kids like vegetables or do you have to sneak them in?

No comments:

Post a Comment