Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Healthy Into Unhealthy

Weigh-In: 117.2
Difference: + .4 lbs


Oh well, no biggie.  On to the real reason for my post!!


I love recipes and cookbooks.  But the one thing that annoys me is when someone (a blog, a magazine, a person in general) tries to talk about the health benefits of something then they go and make it just as unhealthy as the store-bought stuff.
This recipe is from the Publix Family Style magazine

 This recipe says that it's "economical."  Personally I think when it comes to peanut butter (correct me if I'm wrong) it's more economical to buy it at the store.


To do my calculation I used SamsClub.com and looked at their prices.  Of course prices vary depending on the store.  


The recipe makes 3.5 cups.


Peanuts           -- $9  {Makes double the recipe}
Olive Oil         --$19
 Total              --$28


Price per cup --$1.41


Jif peanut butter -- $11 (has 8.75 cups)
Price per cup -- $1.26


So it's actually more economical to buy premade peanut butter.  The price difference isn't much though.


But what really burns me are the nutritional values.  199 calories and 18g of fat!  



Here's the actual recipe:




6 cups nuts
1/4 to 1/3 light olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt



  1. Process the nuts for 2 minutes
  2. Add oil and salt
  3. Process until desired smoothness (make sure to scrape down sides as you blend)
  4. Keep refrigerated!

Here's my recipe for peanut butter:

6 cups of peanuts  (or whatever type of nuts you'd like to use)
3 Tablespoons molasses

  1. Put everything in food processor
  2. Process until desired smoothness (scrape down sides as you go)
  3. Keep refridgerated!

For chunky peanut butter set some of the nuts aside and throw them in when it's almost smooth and process until desired chunkiness. 


 The difference between their recipe and my recipe is 55 calories and 6 grams of fat.  





They did suggest some interesting flavorings for your peanut butter.  I will definitely be trying these and letting you know how they come out.


What are your opinions on homemade peanut butter vs. store bought?  Which is your favorite mix-in idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment