Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Cookbooks and Fat Free Mac and Cheese

I got my birthday cookbook yesterday!  I'm so happy.  I've already loaded my August menu with a ton of recipes from the book.


I guess I should fill you in on the title shouldn't I?

Source


I adore this series of cookbooks.  The other 2 books that David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding wrote, Cook This, Not That and Cook This, Not That Easy & Awesome 350 Calorie Meals, are so worn out from use and they contain cryptic notes about whether or not the girls liked it.  


Grill This, Not That has a ton of recipes.  They have a nice, big seafood and vegetable section.


Dinner tonite was fat-free mac and cheese.  I adapted the recipe from here:
Bobby Deen's Mac and Cheese


Baked Mac and Cheese
by K8E
Prep Time: 20
Cook Time: 45
Keywords: bake entree Mushrooms pasta cheese


A fat free, lightened up macaroni and cheese recipe. The girls loved it.
Ingredients (approx 8)
  • 4 cups cooked pasta, drained (I used vegetable spirals)
  • 2 cups fat-free shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • Egg substitute equal to 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 portobello mushroom caps, cut into medium chunks
  • 1 medium onion, diced
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350°F.
  • Spray a casserole dish with pan spray.
  • Put chopped onions and mushrooms in large bowl.
  • Cook the pasta, mix in with the onions and mushrooms and add the cheese to the pasta vegetable mixture
  • In a separate bowl mix together the milk, egg substitute, mustard, salt, and sour cream
  • Add the milk mixture to the pasta mixture.
  • Place it all into your greased casserole dish
  • Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes until bubbly and hot
For more great recipes visit





It was delicious and the girls really liked it.  I liked the fact that it wasn't incredibly pasta heavy like a normal mac and cheese is.  I just wish that I had remember to get a picture of it (even though it wasn't pretty at all)


What's your favorite cookbook?

No comments:

Post a Comment