Monday, July 23, 2012

Diabetics Need Not Apply

Excuse me if this post is a bit scrambled.  I'm in a bit of a sugar coma right now.  I just finished making a lighter (fat free possible) version of my mom's Mississippi Mud Cake.  This is a recipe I grew up eating.  She's made it as long as I can remember.  My mom's version is a chocolate cake with pecans topped with marshmallows and a chocolate sauce.  I'm not a nut fan so I switched it up and made it lower in fat by removing the butter.

Momma's Lightened Up Mississippi Mud Cake

Makes 16 servings 


Cake:
1 cup mashed banana

1/2 cup cocoa

1 cup egg substitute (equal to 4 eggs)

1 tsp. vanilla

2 cups sugar

1-1/2 cups flour

1 cup coconut


Frosting:
1 lb. Powdered Sugar-Unsifted

1/2 cup Skim Milk

1/2 cup Karo Corn Syrup

4 cups Miniature Marshmallows


Directions:

1)Heat oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 pan

2) Mix together cocoa, sugar, flour and coconut

3) Mix banana, egg substitute, vanilla in a separate bowl

4) Blend wet into dry

5)Bake 30 minutes

6) Scatter marshmallows ontop of cake and place back in oven for 3 minutes

7) While cake is baking mix together powdered sugar, cocoa, milk, corn syrup and vanilla

8) Pour frosting ontop of cake and let cool



Here are the nutritionals for this recipe. 
Calories -- 363
Total Fat -- 2.5 grams
Carbs -- 86 grams
Sugar -- 66 grams
 
Please remember, this recipe is NOT low calorie or low in sugar!!  It is low-fat and can be even lower in fat if you remove the coconut.  This dessert is really rich so it could possible make 24 satisfying slices. 
 
After this is gone the family is going back to having lighter desserts.  I started craving this after I made Rice Krispie Treats the way my mom used to make them (a mixture of Rice Krispies and Fruity Pebbles.)
 
Here's a quick tip about Rice Krispie Treats.  You can make them fat-free by substituting the butter for corn syrup, agave, or sugar free maple syrup.
 
I always worry about recreating my mom's recipes.  My mom set such a high bar for food.  She's an amazing cook.  I think that food and family have a big connection.  Normally, (not always) as an adult you eat the way you were fed as a kid. As a kid I was raised on food that was made 95% from scratch.  As an adult I rarely make packaged food.


Dinner tonite was another lightened up version of a favorite from my childhood.  It was Tuna Salad Sandwiches.  I got the recipe from Clean Eating Magazine.




Tuna Salad
INGREDIENTS:
  • 6 oz can or pouch unsalted tuna in water, drained
  • 3 tbsp celery, diced
  • 3 tbsp red onion, diced
  • 2 tbsp carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1 tbsp sweet relish
  • 1 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp parsley flakes
  • 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
  • 4 slices whole wheat bread

INSTRUCTIONS:

Combine all ingredients except bread in a bowl.
Mix thoroughly
Spread 1/2 the mixture onto 2 slices of bread
Top with other bread

Even Mr. Amazing said he couldn't tell that there was no mayo in it.  I think that I have successfully managed to turn him into a healthy eater.  Of course, as soon as I wrote that he says to me "we need to buy a huge bag of M&M's."  Maybe I have a bit farther to go with him.


Do you have any favorite recipes from family members you've changed for dietary reasons?  What is it and why did you change it?

No comments:

Post a Comment