Friday, April 20, 2012

Stay away from cake

Farmers Market Shopping List
Total Spent:  $41
This is what I got:

I was super excited about the jam.  I bought red raspberry jam and traffic jam (I partially bought it because of the name.  It's delicious though.  It's a mixed fruit jam with strawberries,peaches,raspberries, cranberries, and cherries.  Kay loves the honey sticks.  She’s super excited because honey is allowed on our Sugar free May (I really need a good name for it.  Any ideas?) 



We’re celebrating Baye’s birthday tomorrow so I started working on her cake tonite.  I made chocolate zucchini muffins and banana carrot muffins.  I make myself something that is okay for me to eat so that I don't dip into the fat and calorie laden birthday cakes.  I altered the recipe from the Happy Herbivore.   If you click the link it'll take you to the original recipe.

Ingredients:
·          cups whole wheat pastry flour
·         ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
·          tsp baking powder
·         ¾ tsp baking soda
·         ½ tsp salt
·         1 tsp cinnamon
·         1 whole banana, mashed
·         ½ cup stevia
·         ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
·         ¼ cup skim milk
·         1 tsp vanilla extract
·         1 cup shredded zucchini
·         2 Tbsp sugar
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Grease muffin pan 
  3. Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl.
  4. Cream mashed banana, and applesauce
  5. Add in milk, vanilla, zucchini
  6. Add flour mix to wet mix in batches and stir until just combined.
  7.  Put batter into muffin pan and bake 18-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  (Mine took 25)


(I seriously threw everything into a bowl and used my electric mixer to blend it all)

Then I did one with just bananas.  I substituted the zucchini for carrots (I only bought enough zucchini to make 1 batch of muffins.)

·         1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
·          tsp baking powder
·         ¾ tsp baking soda
·         ½ tsp salt
·         1 tsp cinnamon
·         2 whole banana, mashed
·         ½ cup stevia
·         ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
·         ¼ cup skim milk
·         1 tsp vanilla extract
·         1 cup shredded carrots



I loved them.  They were very moist.  But, I like my banana muffins kind of on the brink of “gummy”.  If you prefer your banana muffins to have more of a muffin consistency then I would suggest only using 1 banana.  You can also lower the fat by using white flour instead of whole wheat.  

Have the farmers markets by you opened yet?




No comments:

Post a Comment