Friday, March 8, 2013

Excited About Salad

[Forward before I start my ranting: Since I am participating in National Nutrition Month I have to say that I am proud of people for whatever healthy lifestyle changes they decide to make.  This post is aimed at a select few.  If a salad is your first step toward a total healthy life change then I back you 100% but, one salad does not make up for eating artery clogging junk the other 20 meals out of the week]

See these texts?  I get these texts quite often.  A Greek salad can have upwards of 600 calories.  So, half a Greek salad would have the same calories as a normal lunch.  These types of texts do not get the reaction from the that the senders are expecting.

You want to know a secret?  I rarely, [I mean like 2 times a year rarely], eat a salad for lunch.  I'm more likely to eat a sweet potato or a huge bowl of popcorn for lunch. 

People need to change their way of thinking.  A turkey sandwich on whole-grain bread with lettuce, tomato, onions, and mustard is a very healthy meal also.  (As a future R.D. I recognize the fact that properly prepared meat can be part of a healthy diet.)

One salad for lunch does not instantly make you healthy!  I also know that personally, a salad does not fill me up unless it's loaded with vegetables and some sort of protein.  A "healthy y" salad to most people is a small bowl.  A salad that size would fill me up for about about an hour.  

A salad for me is in addition  to my regular meal.  It contains:

1/2 a head of Romaine Lettuce, or 4 big handfuls of spinach
1/2 - 1 whole onion
4-7 mushrooms
2-3 baby carrots (I hate carrots!)
1/4 cup fat free feta/shredded cheese
1 whole cucumber
1/4 cup imitation crab
1/4 cup corn
a few bunches of green onions

Other people's lunch salads:
3-5 iceberg lettuce leaves
1/2 a cucumber
2 mushrooms
2 baby carrots
full fat cheese


If you want me to be proud of you then tell me you chose a salad over a greasy burger, or that you ordered a non-fat, no whip latte at Starbucks, or you skipped your daily Starbuck's completely!  But, PLEASE don't tell me you "had a salad" because I will not give you praise.  

What are your feelings on salads?

No comments:

Post a Comment