Doesn't that look yummy? Like a big piece of french toast.
A normal slice of bread pudding has around 300 calories and 10 grams of fat depending on the flavorings.What if I told you that the bread pudding I made tonite had Under 100 calories and .7 grams of fat? That's cutting out 66% of the calories and 90% of the fat!
It was still creamy, rich and a bit crunchy. Reminiscent of french toast. After the success of the savory one on Sunday I decided to give a sweet one a go. You can top this one with additional berries, syrup, powdered sugar, melted jam/jelly, chocolate syrup, or even melted peanut butter. This could also double as a dessert, just top it with some whipped cream.
Mixed Berry Bread Pudding
20 servings (2 personally filled me up)
Fat: 0.7 grams
Carbs: 15.9 grams
Sugar: 5.7 grams
Protein: 6.23 grams
1 loaf reduced calorie wheat bread
1.5 c egg substitute (6 eggs)
4 c skim milk
2 T sugar
1 c sliced strawberries
1 c blackberries
.25 c blueberries
1 c raspberries
- Cube bread
- Whisk together egg substitute, milk and sugar
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with pan spray
- Put half of the bread in the dish
- Sprinkle half of the berries on top of the bread. Do another layer of bread then finish off with the berries
- Pour milk mix ontop and make sure that all the bread is wet
- Put in the fridge for atleast an hour or overnight (I actually did it last nite)
- Take out of the fridge 30 minutes before you plan on baking it (this will prevent the dish from shattering in the oven)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes (60 minutes covered 15 minutes uncovered). If the top isn't brown enough for you then turn on your broiler and broil until brown (I put my broiler on high and leave the pan on the lower rack)
What do you think would be good in a bread pudding?