Friday, March 15, 2013

Finally! A New Recipe For Y'all

What do you think when you hear "pizza?"  Do you think lettuce, salsa and cheese?  Probably not.  But after today you might. 


I decided to blend 2 of Kaylee and Mantha's favorite meals, pizza and tacos, to make taco pizza.  {Even though pizza tacos does sound like an interesting idea too.  Maybe a future recipe?}

I found this recipe on Virtually Homemade.  I altered to recipe to be fat free.

Taco Pizza
Adapted from Virtually Homemade
Calories (not including crust) serves 16 (per slice) -- 73
Fat -- 0.2 g


Ingredients
1 recipe pizza dough (my recipe is after this one)
1 small jar salsa
1 package of fat free cheddar
1/2 bag Boca meatless crumbles
1/2 onion diced
2 T taco seasoning
1/2 head of lettuce, shredded
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup fat free sour cream

Directions
  1. Heat oven to 425
  2. Roll out pizza dough into a rectangle and place it on a greased baking pan (I line mine with aluminum foil so I don't dirty the pan)
  3. In a small saucepan combine the meatless crumbles, 1/4 cup +2 T water and the taco seasoning.  Simmer on medium for about 7-10 minutes until the meat is warm and most of the water has been absorbed.
  4. Spread the salsa on the dough, top with crumbles, onions, and cheese.  
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until dough is golden brown and the cheese is melty.
  6. When pizza comes out sprinkle on tomatoes and lettuce.  Drizzle the sour cream on top and serve.


Pizza Dough
If cut into 16 pieces 
Calories 77
Fat 0.2 g


Ingredients
2.5 c flour 
1 c warm water
2.25 tsp yeast
1 T honey

Directions
  1. Mix water, yeast and honey together and let stand for 10 minutes in a medium mixing bowl
  2. Add in flour
  3. Mix until dough comes together and forms a ball
  4. Put in a dark place {I put mine in an off oven) to rise for 90 minutes
  5. Roll out and use

The pizza was a big hit.  I topped my slices with a bit extra sour cream and salsa.  This is the first atypical pizza I've tried and now I'm hooked.  I want to try more unusual pizzas.  Any suggestions of pizza makeovers you'd like to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment