Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Today a Spin Class, Tomorrow.....

I'm not moving! 

I know.  I'm crazy.  Yesterday a TRX class, today a Spin class.  What was I THINKING?!?? Ken laughed at me when I told him I was going to take a spin class because I've always said "don't take a class, buy a bike you'll save money and get some much needed fresh air."  Part of the reason I took this class was to see what all the hype is about.  {Man do people LOVE their spin classes}  The other reason is because as a future fitness professional I believe that I should at least try everything.  If I could I would be certified in everything, train in everything and be so gosh darn well rounded that I could teach anybody any style of any fitness craze. 

Thriv uses Real Ryder bikes.  They're really cool.  They simulate a real bike and they tilt to each side which in turn works your abs at the same time as your legs.

  Photo courtesy of:  RealRyder.com

According to the website the some of the benefits of these bikes are:
  1. They increase your core strength
  2. Challenge balance and coordination
  3. Burn 20% more calories and use more muscles
  4. Improve your actual bike riding

But, back to the class.  I went in thinking "this is gonna be no big deal.  How hard can riding a bike be??"  HAHA NO!  Dead wrong!  Spin classes are no joke people.  One of the things I pride myself on is the fact that I don't sweat.   This class changed all that.  By 15 minutes in I was sweating.  I carry around a towel at the gym and never use it but, during this class I actually did. 
Crummy after class, dripping in sweat photo

I couldn't keep up the WHOLE time and had to sit down and just pedal occasionally.  In a spin class you're up and down out of your seat constantly, switching hand positions and resistance.  But for the most part I surprised myself and kept up better than I expected.  My only problem is that my water bottle was too big for my holder so instead of just reaching for my bottle when we were told to I had to stop pedaling, and get it.   

I suffered a slight injury during class though.  I found out the hard way that you shouldn't put too much pressure on your arms.  "Your arms are only for balance, not to hold up your weight."   I'm bracing it for a few days to ease the pain.  I should be back in the saddle {pardon the pun} in a few days. 

My conclusion:  This is an awesome workout.  It doesn't beat a real bike ride but, it is fun.  There's energizing music (which by singing along helped me remember to breathe), an enthusiastic teacher (Julie is awesome!), and great cardio.  I will definitely be doing this often.  

Now I'm going to go, soak my muscles and take a well needed shower.  Goodnite!

No comments:

Post a Comment