Monday, March 11, 2013

Muffin Monday

My banana muffins were running low so I started searching for a new muffin recipe.  Every single one I came across wasn't very different then a cupcake.  Tons of sugar, and not very nutritious. They were basically cupcakes without the frosting!  In my world a muffin should be just a bit sweeter than bread, and not as sweet as a cupcake.

I borrowed the book The Ultimate Muffin Book by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough from my local library and started look through it.  This book has a great variety of recipes.  They are not all the healthiest muffins but, they have some great non-fat and low-fat recipes.  The book also includes some sugar-free and gluten-free ones too.  They also range from sweet muffins to savory muffins.

I finally decided on Orange Muffins.  It was a nice change from the ones I've been making over the past month.  Plus, I remember the awesome orange muffins I used to get at the farmers market.  I had to alter the recipe to make it sugar free.

The muffins turned out nicely.  They were a bit dry but, I'm going to try them again and make normal sized muffins out of them instead of muffin balls.  They also could have used a bit more orange flavor.  Next time I will try upping the zest in the recipe.

Orange Muffins
adapted from The Ultimate Muffin Book

Ingredients
1.25 cups All-Purpouse flour
1 cup Whole whole wheat flour (you can substitute for more All-purpose flour if you'd like)
2 t baking soda
6 oz blood orange fat free Greek yogurt
6 T plain, vanilla, or blood orange fat free yogurt
1 egg white
1 T orange zest
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup skim milk

Directions
  • In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flours and baking soda
  • In a separate bowl whisk the yogurts, egg white, orange zest, orange juice and milk
  • Add the wet ingredients to the dry

Option 1
119 calories and .3 grams of fat
  • Preheat over to 400 degrees
  • Green a muffin pan (or use cupcake liners)
  • Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full
  • Bake for 20 minutes
Option 2
40 calories and .1 gram of fat
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Spray a cake pop pan
  • Bake 20 minutes

What's your favorite type of muffin?  Is there a recipe you'd like to see on Muffin Monday?



No comments:

Post a Comment