Sunday, October 28, 2012

Souper Sandy Supper

 I think coincidences are very odd things.  Don't you?  Occasionally I'll get in a soup type of mood. 

I find Florida is not a soup friendly state.  I can't justify eating a bowl of soup in 90 degree heat most of the time.  But occasionally I'll think "Hmmm, soup sounds good!" 

But, (there's always a "but" isn't there?) every time I make soup it rains.  EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.  Without fail.  Well, I didn't know that this time I decided on soup we wouldn't get rain, we'd get the effects of Hurricane Sandy. 
 
Vegetable Stew

2 medium onion, minced
5 medium carrot, chopped
1 medium stalk celery, minced
16 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups vegetable stock
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
4 medium red potatoes, quartered
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
1 cup frozen peas, thawed

Instructions
1.  Heat a large pot or dutch oven sprayed with pan spray over medium-high
2. Sautee onions, carrots and celery until they become soft (10-15 minutes) add a bit of water if they begin to stick
3. Add the mushrooms, sautee until the liquid they release has cooked off
5. Add garlic, rosemary and thyme
6. Add 1/2 cup of stock to deglaze pan (scrape the bottom to get anything that has stuck on, off)
7. Cook about 3 minutes until stock is about 1/2 of what it was
8. Add the rest of your stock, salt, tomatoes, bay leaf, and potatoes, bring to a boil.
9. Reduced heat, simmer, partially covered about 30 minutes until the potatoes are soft
10. Stir together cornstarch and water, add to pot and cook until the stew starts to thicken.
11. Add the peas and simmer for 2-3 minutes. 

The whole family loved it.  Even my mom who typical doesn't like stew (which I didn't know until last nite.)  I hope everyone stays safe from the storm.


No comments:

Post a Comment