Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sweet Sweet Mistake

When I say soy what is the first thing that pops into your head?

Soy sauce?  Soy milk?  Soy beans?

Tonite Mr. Amazing made a tasty mistake.  I wrote the recipe for him in shorthand.  I just wrote down as much of the ingredient's name as I thought was necessary.  I stupidly thought that he would understand it.  Guess not.  Instead of soy MILK he used soy SAUCE.  We had a conversation earlier today about soy milk going into the stroganoff.  I assumed that he would understand I was calling for soy milk.  
1 cup Plain Soy = Soy Milk!

Well, it actually came out amazing.  So I've edited the recipe to reflect the mistake.



 See all those pieces of mushrooms and yummy noodles?  I actually made egg noodles to go with the sauce.  The rest of the family ate the noodles, I put my stroganoff over a sweet potato.  'Mmmmmmm!

Mushroom Stroganoff 
adapted from Engine 2 Diet 

1 large yellow onion, chopped
16 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
2 T minced garlic
4 T flour
2 T balsamic vinegar

2 T soy sauce
½ c Soy milk
16 ounces cooked whole wheat noodles


  1. Cook the onions until semi-soft
  2. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until soft
  3. Whisk the flour in and stir until it's evenly distributed
  4. Pour in the vinegar, soy sauce and soy milk.  
  5. Stir until the sauce thickens.
  6. Serve over noodles
I've been giving him a bit of a hard time about it but I make sure that he knows that it was really amazing at the same time.  
 
Have you ever made a mistake like that?  Used the wrong ingredient?  How did it come out? 

No comments:

Post a Comment