Pumpkin has many healthy benefits:
- 1 cup has 200% of your daily RDA of Vitamin A. Vitamin A helps with your vision.
- 1 cup has 3 grams of fiber
- 1 cup has 564 milligrams of potassium (that's 142 milligrams more than a banana)
- 1 cup has 20% of women's daily Vitamin C needs
- They are loaded with beta-carotene which can help prevent cancer and keep your skin wrinkle-free
- Pumpkin seeds can reduced your LDL (bad cholesterol)
- Seeds have tryptophan which helps boost seratonin (a feel good chemical in your brain)
Pumpkin French Toast
adapted from The Post Punk Kitchen
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1 1/2 cup reduced fat soy milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 slices of reduced calorie whole wheat bread
- Whisk together everything except bread
- Pour mixture into a shallow container and soak bread while your sprayed pan is heating up over medium heat
- Flip bread over and let the other side soak for a minute
- Place 2-4 slices of bread in the skillet and cook on first side until brown, flip then cook the other side until golden brown also.
- Serve with maple syrup
I think next time I'll try to make some pumpkin waffles or pancakes. Do you have any good recipes for pumpkin waffles or pancakes?