Monday, October 22, 2012

Pumpkin French Toast

'Tis the season to break out the pumpkin recipes.  My Pumpkin Frozen Dessert (here) is one of my most popular posts since fall began.  I decided I wanted to try a Pumpkin French Toast recipe I found at the Post Punk Kitchen.

Pumpkin has many healthy benefits:


  • 1 cup has 200% of your daily RDA of Vitamin A.  Vitamin A helps with your vision.
  • 1 cup has 3 grams of fiber
  • 1 cup has 564 milligrams of potassium (that's 142 milligrams more than a banana)
  • 1 cup has 20% of women's daily Vitamin C needs
  • They are loaded with beta-carotene which can help prevent cancer and keep your skin wrinkle-free
  • Pumpkin seeds can reduced your LDL (bad cholesterol)
  • Seeds have tryptophan which helps boost seratonin (a feel good chemical in your brain)


Pumpkin French Toast
adapted from The Post Punk Kitchen

1 cup pureed pumpkin
1 1/2 cup reduced fat soy milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 slices of reduced calorie whole wheat bread


  1. Whisk together everything except bread
  2. Pour mixture into a shallow container and soak bread while your sprayed pan is heating up over medium heat
  3. Flip bread over and let the other side soak for a minute
  4. Place 2-4 slices of bread in the skillet and cook on first side until brown, flip then cook the other side until golden brown also.
  5. Serve with maple syrup
As you see in the picture I started out using my electric griddle.  It honestly didn't work well.  It took forever for the toast to cook.  I switched them to a skillet and it browned up really quick.  I don't know if my griddle was just turned down too low or if this recipe is just meant for a skillet.  If you use an electric griddle and get the toast to work, please let me know how you did it!


I think next time I'll try to make some pumpkin waffles or pancakes. Do you have any good recipes for pumpkin waffles or pancakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment