Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Crazy Week

I'm so behind!  This week is seriously going to kill me.  I missed 2 blog posts, today and tomorrow are jam packed with things that need to be done before the girls go back to school on Thursday and I have to go get books and decals for my classes.  

Let's begin by updating you on my NEW current exercise routine.  I've started using my Jillian Michaels' medicine ball.  This thing is awesome.  Take a look at it here.  You can turn it into a kettlebell, an ab roller, a weighted bar, or a weighted ball on a rope.  I have only been using it as a medicine ball because I'm too lazy to switch it.  I have been working my arms, core, and legs with it.  Click Here for most of my workout.

I've also been adding these exercises:

Arms (repeat 3 times)
10 presses (hold the ball at chest level and raise it over your head and back down.  You              can do this laying down or standing up)

10 upright rows (bend over and hold the ball arms extended towards the floor.  Lift the ball to your chest and lower it back to the ground)

Core (repeat 3 times)
50 situps (hold the ball on your chest or stomach as you do your normal situps)

That workout has been good for battling the calories of the next 2 recipes I'm going to give you.  It has also helped me tone a bit.  Hopefully I will be adding a heavier ball to my exercise equipment collection soon.

Remember the screwed up veggie burgers from Thursday?  I figured out a use for them.  SOUP!!  Here's the recipe:

VEGETABLE RICE SOUP
1 lb of small white beans
8-12 cups of veggie stock
2 1/2 cups of cooked brown rice
1 lb of carrots
8 oz mushrooms, diced
3 green onions cut small
2 T garlic, minced


  1. Soak the beans in stock at least 8 hour or overnight.
  2. Put the beans and stock in a large pot and add enough water to make 8-12 cups (the beans will have absorbed some of the soaking liquid).  Bring the beans and stock to a boil, reduced heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until they are soft.
  3. While the beans are simmering sautee your vegetables and garlic.
  4. Add the rice and veggies to the beans, bring back to a boil and heat through.

It was amazing.  This recipe is very customizable.  You could switch the type of beans, you can switch which veggies or seasoning you use.  Soup and pizza are kind of the same in that way aren't they?  You can change them easily to suit the mood you're in.  

What's the difference between pizza and flatbread though?  
Is it the dough?
Is it the toppings?

I have no clue but I know flatbread is darn good.  I make the distinction between the two when I make them because flatbread has no sauce and I don't use mozzarella.  

I made an awesome flatbread on Sunday.  It had Spinach, feta, caramelized onions, sliced garlic and sauteed mushrooms.

Want to see it?  Of course you do!





Yummy right?  This recipe is really simple.

FLATBREAD

Dough:
2 1/2 cups flour (you can use whole wheat, AP or a mixture of both)
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (equal to 1 package)
1 cup hot water
1 T sugar or honey 

Instructions:
  1. Mix together the water, and sugar/honey in a large bowl.  Sprinkle the yeast on top of the water and let sit for 10 minutes while the yeast proof. 
  2. Add in the flour and stir.  When the dough isn't sticky anymore put it on a floured cutting board and knead it for 5 - 10 minutes.  If it's still too wet after adding the flour add more 1/4 cup at a time (You can also do this in your food processor or mixer with a dough hook attachment)
  3. Place dough in a greased bowl and let it rise for about 1 1/2 hours.
  4. After it is done rising divide dough into 8 portions.  (Cut to dough into 4 pieces then cut each peice in half)
  5. Roll each piece into a circle.
  6. Heat a large skillet sprayed with pan spray over medium or medium high heat.
  7. Place 1 circle in the skillet and cook until golden and crisp.  Flip and cook the other side the same.  This will take about 3-5 minutes.
  8. Cook the remainder of the dough in the same way.

Topping and cooking flatbread

INGREDIENTS
Toppings and cheese of your choice

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Heat oven to 450 degrees
  2. While the oven is heating up place toppings on flatbreads
  3. Place in oven for 15-20 minutes until cheese has melted 

Prompt:  Tell us about a sweet moment you had with a loved one.
Answer:  Every time Baye comes up to me and wraps her little arms around me and says "I love you" and gives me a kiss is the sweetest moment I can imagine.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment