Thursday, June 14, 2012

The food I live for

The dinner theme for the month (and possibly all summer) is quick and simple.  The challenge is that dinner should take no longer than 45 minutes to make but still be healthy.  Don't think that every meal is going to be salads and processed foods.  97% of all the meals will be made from scratch just like always.  

Tonite was hot dog nite.  I couldn't find the fat free vegetarian hot dogs in the Publix so I decided to experiment with the things I already had in the house.  I made myself a hot dog using mushrooms, onions, some bread to bind it and egg substitute.  I'm not going to give you the recipe because it still needs to be seriously tweaked.  

Don't think that since I made a mushroom dog that I don't enjoy hot dogs.  I love hot dogs.  They used to be one of my favorite foods.  Before I became a pescatarian I loved anything grilled.  Hot dogs were one of my favorites.  Mr. Amazing and I still joke that we really don't need a stove.  As long as we have a working grill we're okay.  Before I got sick one of my favorite foods was a nice big porterhouse.  Until I found out that my 16 oz porterhouse that I loved to occasionally indulge in had these numbers associated with it.

Doesn't that look yummy?

Calories707.6
  Total Fat32.5 g
     Saturated Fat11.6 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat1.4 g
     Monounsaturated Fat15.2 g
     Trans Fat0.0 g
  Cholesterol254.0 mg
  Sodium263.1 mg
  Potassium1,329.0 mg
  Total Carbohydrate0.0 g
     Dietary Fiber0.0 g
     Sugars0.0 g
  Protein96.5 g

Crazy right?  But now I'm happy with a big bucket of seafood.  I'd rather eat a pound of shrimp.  


 Calories480.5
  Total Fat7.8 g
     Saturated Fat1.5 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat3.0 g
     Monounsaturated Fat1.1 g
     Trans Fat0.0 g
  Cholesterol689.1 mg
  Sodium670.9 mg
  Potassium838.7 mg
  Total Carbohydrate4.1 g
     Dietary Fiber0.0 g
     Sugars0.0 g
  Protein92.1 g
You save 220 calories and almost 30 grams of fat!!  Plus there's a bunch of vitamins and minerals that you get from the shrimp.

What food can't you live without?


No comments:

Post a Comment